Author Topic: Only getting a dozen shots before I need to change flints  (Read 13222 times)

omark

Re: Only getting a dozen shots before I need to change flints
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
Well, for hunt in, ya only need 1 shot, anyhow.        ;).      Mark

Offline oldways

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 04:08:45 AM »
One can only hope that it takes just one. I try to shoot as much as I can at different times of the year to see if the weather makes a big difference.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
Use a medium thickness of leather in the jaws. Punch or cut a hole at the back so the screw doesn't interfere with the flint placement. Bevel up or down depends mostly on the shape of the flint. Your flint should contact the steel near the top about 1/4 to 1/3 from the top. Tighten the screw very tight and check it once in a while to be sure it stays tight. A slightly longer piece of leather from the top jaw of the flint will protect the flint from being bashed by the steel and breaking the flint, or at least show you if you are getting bounce back. If not being struck you can skip this. And last, be sure to re-sharpen your flints when they get dull. I never throw a flint away that will still hold in the jaw. You should be getting at least 100 or more shots on a single flint.
Good luck, hope some of this helps you.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5590.0

Above is a link to a discussion on flints and knapping them.  I hope this may be useful to you.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
What have you noticed regarding the condition of the flints when you are no longer getting sparks?  You say you get a dozen shots.  Then they stop sparking?  Is the edge dull and rounded?  Is there a shiny spot on the flint edge?  Has the flint self-knapper and is now shorter?  Different problems require different solutions.  I think they have you squared away on keeping the flint tight in the jaws.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldways

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 03:46:40 AM »
Thanks to all of you who replied to my post. If you are new to shooting flintlocks it would be wise of you to read all the responces here. Do read the information that was posted by D. Taylor Sapergia ,the article was very informative. Again thanks!

Offline wmrike

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
 I would suspect your particular frizzen.

Most of my shooting is with a large Siler.  My experience was that in the beginning I was not careful about positioning the flint and a dozen shots would ruin a flint.  After I got more careful about making certain the flint struck the frizzen squarely, it worked beautifully, easily getting more than a hundred strikes per flint.  These are almost exclusively English flints, bevel up, bevel down, whatever, and typically I don't begin dressing the edge until after perhaps 75 strikes.  I have used deerskin, but most of the time I use scraps that are about 0.08" thick.  None of it seems to matter.  I usually snug down the jaws after the first 5-7 strikes.  The Siler springs always seem $#*! for stout, but the flints bear up to it.

Hadden West

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
I like leather about like the old baseball glove. Kinda stiff. I also put a drop of anti-seize on the toe of the frizzen where it cams on the frizzen spring, and make sure the screw of the frizzen isn't putting a bind on it's movement. It reduces wear and makes the frizzen open better. Re-tighten the flint after a couple shots. I am very particular when choosing flints. I like them to be flat on the top and bottom, and consistent in length. Once you find the optimal position at half-cock, you'll recognize and be able to compensate accordingly.