Author Topic: Yard sale find  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Yard sale find
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
 I have seen indian trade guns marked Chance and son. But, have never seen a fowler like this one. Is the furniture German silver, or is it sterling silver?

Hungry Horse

George Roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
That looks like it was a pretty high end fowler at one time.

Blackmore lists:
William 1  Merchant Birmingham, 1777-80.  Became Chance & Homer (q.v.), then William Chance & Sons, 1812 - 21.  Sold guns marked 'London'.

William 2  Son of William (1)?  America merchants, 2 Coleman St. Bldgs., London, 1829 - 35.  At same address became William Chance & Sons, 1836 - 42; William Chance Son & Co., 1843 - 56;  William Chance & Co., 1858  Main premises at 152 Great Charles St., Birmingham, but guns marked 'London". As importers of hardware and firearms had branch in New York, 1842 -53 (Dir).  Supplied American Fur Co. with 'Chiefs and North West' guns, 1835 - 45. (Parsons).

The second William was seems to be the most likely candidate.

George

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
I don't know if it is German or sterling. Is there an easy way to tell?
This one is marked London.
  There is a faint engraving on the top flat.  It's hard to read; seems to say imported for someone with the last name Paige.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
Can you post the images? I cant get the links to load.

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »

Posting pictures with this ipad thing is challenging!

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
Here is a very similar one, minus the silver furniture.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/494/1/AAI-463

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
German silver doesn't tarnish. Sterling will turn black with age.

Hungry Horse

Offline Levy

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »
I have the remains of one that is marked W. Chance on the lock and Imported By S. N. Hart, Norfolk, Virginia on the barrel.  Mine is in 24 gauge and iron mounted.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
Then it must be German silver.  I might take it to a pawn shop and get it tested.

I picked this up in Chester, Virginia.  I'll check the engraving more closely to see.

Online JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
German silver. Its an inexpensive British-made export gun. There were tens of thousands of them.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
Nice find Jwiant - I suspect the others are correct that this was an export gun made for use here.  They range in quality from absolute junk (truly, junk), to some very nicely put together and engraved pieces.  Some of them may have fallen into the "inexpensive" category at the time, but are still better made than most of today's contemporary work.  I love these guns for the variety of decoration and the better ones' fit and finish.  They're also nice to collect because the fancy ones are still relatively affordable.  I've got one on my website that went from several pieces through full restoration - not worth it financially to do so, but was good experience and I enjoy the process.  Was the triggerguard on yours cut in two when the wrist cracked? 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
I like how the ramrod inlet pipe and wedding band both terminate at the same spot where the nosecap begins.  Obviously when you plan to mass produce something, you pay attention to details to make it more marketable.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

eddillon

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 02:08:15 AM »
I have an identical but with iron furniture.  Some a-h filed off the lock plate engraving so I have no idea who made it.  Barrel marked with Birmingham proofs 13 bore on bottom flat.  RW on bottom  flat also.  Can't complain for $120.00!  ;D

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 02:46:19 AM »
RW on bottom  flat also
Unless I'm mistaken, RW is the mark for barrelmaker Richard Wilson.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

eddillon

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
RW on bottom  flat also
Unless I'm mistaken, RW is the mark for barrelmaker Richard Wilson.
It is a well made barrel and is in great condition inside and out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »
This is not about a yard sale find but yesterday coming off of Rt 262 onto Rt 50 to Lawrenceburg,
my friend Larry Vaden spotted a box at the edge of the road. He stopped and got it and we took it to our motel and opened it. Inside were a number of valuable items pertaining to muzzle loading.IF anyone who might see this can identify the box and contents,please call me at 1-304-429-2454 ot Larry Vaden at 1-304-523-6990.
I will not say what the contents were and I think that the rightful owner can.I will repost this after the Friendship shoot is done and it has been reported to the NMLRA by Mr.Vaden.

Bob Roller

Offline Mascotwoods

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:40 AM »
I removed the lock and found the internals were of good quality, polished and well fitted. I don't believe it was a cheap gun in its time.  The trigger guard was cut at some time and there are a couple screws loosely holding the wrist together.  I probably over payed for this gun after considering its condition.  Realizing that I'm probably not going to get my money back out of it, I'll go ahead and try to piece it back together.  Kind of paying for a learning experience.  Thanks for the information everyone, I'm sure I'll have repair questions in the future.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
This is a great find,looks like its been a high end fowler. looks to be in fair shape though.