Author Topic: John Young rifle and hawk  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
John Young rifle and hawk
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »
Does anyone know where we could see good photos of the matched rifle and hawk
attributed to John Young that were shown in the Bill Guthman article on Frontier hawks.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: John Young rifle and hawk
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Hi Rob,  the only place that I know of that shows these two pieces are pictured in the book "Steel Canvas"  by R.L. Wilson. On page 75 there is a one sided color photo of the pair (rifle's patchbox side). The caption states that the hawk has on it the initials HY engraved on the head which may allude to Henry Young, John's brother.
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
Yep, that's the one Joel.  I was at a local discount store years ago before I was interested in longrifles and there was a STACK of Steel Canvas books for $10 a piece and I didn't buy one.  There were probably 50 of them there.  On the good side.  I picked up a GREAT book on Colt pistols, big full color book with a huge amount of history for $5 on Saturday.  Anyway, thanks for the direction.  I'll get my hands on a copy of it.  A friend of mine gave me an old article written by Wm Guthman on Tomahawks and it's a nice brief history of them.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
There are some in the Bonhams catalog of Bill Guthman's auction. They are probably still on the web site under past auctions. October 12 2006.  There was also a picture of them in Dan Hartzler's  tomahawk book. I believe the gun and hawk were made by Henry Young not John. At least the hawk was signed H.Y.   JIM
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »
Got it.  Here is the link. $87,000. 

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14627/lot/25/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:46:07 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
87K. Wow, Nice gun, but the Seller must have been grinning like crazy!

John
John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:31:01 AM »
Bill brought this set to the KRA before he passed away. Nice gun and great tomahawk, but I'm with you John, $87,000.00 was a pile of money for them. I think the Guthman name helped to inflate the prices. Bill had some fantastic things, and he was a good guy.

Frank

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
Oops, failed to note it was the Guthman auction! But even though he couldn't have been at the auction, I'll still bet he was grinning!

John  ;D
John Robbins