Author Topic: Nc longrifle presentation  (Read 2589 times)

Micah2

Nc longrifle presentation
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:12 AM »
I am looking very forward to a display and presentation by Michael Briggs this Saturday at the salisbury museum.  I understand it will be including quite a few examples of NC longrifles, particularly rowan and Salem guns.  Saturday from 1-3 pm I believe.  Anyone close should try and make it.  I hope to take pictures and perhaps some measurements if allowed to.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: Nc longrifle presentation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
I thought I had better clarify, there will be no formal program or presentation tomorrow.  I am writing a book to be published in 2015 titled "The Longrifle Makers of the Rowan School."  One of the issues with writing a book on this subject is there are few examples known in private collections or museums from this school.  I decided to work with the staff at the Rowan Museum and Mark Wineka at the Salisbury Post to see if the local public might have additional Rowan Longrifles or related objects such as Powder Horns, Hunting Bags, or documents relating to the known gunsmiths from this school such as deeds, wills, or family owned portraits.

So far this effort has paid off.  There will be three newly surfaced Rowan rifles being brought to the museum tomorrow for me to photograph.  The family of Isaac Ribelin has provided me with photos of his house and grave.  They also have an image they think is Isaac and are working to document this.  I hope additional items will surface tomorrow at the museum.  I will bring my three Rowan Christmas tree patchbox Longrifles and my Salem School George Vogler rifle. (He married a daughter of Henry Bruner and moved to Salisbury and made Salem School rifles in that town.)     

If this effort is successful, I plan to do the same thing at the Charlotte Museum of History as I am also writing book on the Longrifle Makers of the Mecklenburg School. 

There will be a program and book signing at the Rowan Museum in 2015.  There will also be a one day Longrifle Seminar with multiple speakers including myself at The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts in September 2015. Lots of fun things to look forward to.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: Nc longrifle presentation
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
I really like the lines of a Carolina Longrifle. one of my favorites.