Author Topic: no ramrod  (Read 4024 times)

leviathan

no ramrod
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:27:41 AM »
Recently saw a backwoods pistol on the forum made without a ramrod. In the past I have seen a few Rev War pistols made the same way. What was the purpose of this? Have any of you seen any more like thi? I think I have seen in past study where the ramrod was carried arounfd the neck. Anymore ideas ofrom anyone where the ramrod was  carried  and why this practice? ;) ;)  Gratefull for your aid!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: no ramrod
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
Queen Anne style screw barrels?
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »
 Some time ago I had someone refer a guy to me that had a British sea service pistol he had inherited. I was shocked when he brought it by my home, and found it to be a standard British design in all respects, except it had no provision for a ramrod. It did not appear to be a restock, since it was English walnut stocked, a bit worm eaten, and nicely carved as well. It had British proofs, and ownership stamps on the pommel, but the barrel was either shortened early in its life, or it was made with a shorter barrel than is considered standard ( it was about 8").

Hungry Horse

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »
Hi,
The rammer might be carried in a holster or bandoleer.  This was sometimes used on cavalry pistols because it was easier to retrieve and replace the ramrod in the holster than to try and return it into thimbles on the gun when bouncing around on a horse during battle.  Hungry Horse, the pistol you examined may have been a model 1796 British cavalry pistol, which was made without a ramrod hole.  The rammer was carried in the holster.  If is was such a pistol, it would have about a 8-9" barrel and it would not have a belt hook, something usually mounted on sea service pistols.

dave
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:31:43 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »
Dave;

This pistol had no belt hook, as you say. It had been converted to percussion, and had stampings on the butt cap that indicated it had been owned by the East India Company, at some point and time.

Hungry Horse

leviathan

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! The pistol I am referring to was a Kentucky style pistol not a military weapon. I think it was not made by a professional gunmaker. Have any of you seen any kentucky styles like this? ;)

oakridge

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
I have seen high quality pistols without provision for a ramrod, that may have originally been cased. The ramrod would have been provided along with other accessories in the case. Gun and case at some point got separated.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
I think some case sets of Dueling pistols had no ramrod.as one was usually in the case.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! The pistol I am referring to was a Kentucky style pistol not a military weapon. I think it was not made by a professional gunmaker. Have any of you seen any kentucky styles like this? ;)

Hi,
Don't be so sure that it was wrongly made.  George Neuman in his book "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" shows a crudely American made horse pistol without a ramrod groove or hole.  It was made for the purpose I previously mentioned.  There may very well have been "Kentucky" style pistols (whatever that means with respect to pistols) made for horsemen without ramrods.  Certainly a picture of this pistol would help.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

leviathan

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »
Smart Dog'
      that is exactly the book I remember seeing it in. Thanks for refreshing my memory. There is also one in ALF under ohio pistol with no provision for ramrod and an iron band keeping it on. Crudely made but serviceablr. This is the type pistol I am considering copying (or one similar to it). Don't know why but I have always had an affinity for these homemade backwoods guns (especially those made in the South). Thanks again for the info. :) :) :) :) :)