Author Topic: Help needed to ID a carbine...  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Help needed to ID a carbine...
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone have any idea as to what this piece is?  I'm assuming it's meant for mounted troops.  It has "US" markings and was acquired in the States, I believe NJ.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

hawknknife

Re: Help needed to ID a carbine...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
Ed, This is the Austrian Model 1842 cavalry carbine, 71 Cal rifled.  10,000 were purchased in 1861 and issued to Fr'mont's Western command in 1862.  The US markings look "Good" and are probably original to the gun...nice find!  Hope this helps...Carl

hawknknife

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
851 is 1851 date of manufacture.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Hi Ed,
I believe you have an Austrian model 1851 cavalry carbine that someone cleverly converted to flintlock.  The original gun probably had an Austrian percussion lock called the "Augustin" that used a frizzen spring and a pan cover with anvil that hit a firing pin that detonated a percussion tube placed in the pan.  I believe some were imported into the US during the Civil War but I don't know about north or south.  They were never flint and someone mistakenly or fraudulently converted this gun to flint.  The person may also have installed the ramrod because the originals did not have rods on the gun.  You carried the rod in a holster or bandoleer.  Alternatively, it is possible that rods were installed after the guns were imported to the US.  If Austrian it is likely 0.69-0.70 cal.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
Gents, thanks very much!!  I was thinking Austrian as well, but the flintlock really threw me off.  I really appreciate the insight!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
The letter M was frequently used on arms bought and issued to Maryland troops. I've seen similar markings on swords as well as guns.
Frank
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:34:04 AM by Fullstock longrifle »