Author Topic: Heavy Trigger  (Read 3489 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Heavy Trigger
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
I have an Isac Haines rifle with a single trigger.  The trigger pull is very heavy.  how does one go about lighting the trigger pull, Or should I take it to a good gunsmith.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:45:26 PM by iloco »
iloco

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Heavy Trigger
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
There are many ways to make trigger pull better - lighter - crisper.  But before I can answer, I need to know more about what you have.  Is your current trigger pinned to the trigger plate, or is it pinned high through the lock mortise?  How far is it from the pivot of the trigger to the contact point on the sear arm?  What lock?  Pictures would save all of this interrogation.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
The trigger is pinned to the trigger plate.  The lock is a small Siler flintlock.
 I see I might be best off to take it to Dale Johnson and let him adjust it for me.
iloco

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:05:32 AM »
Pinned to the plate is usualy going to result in a heavy pull, pin it higher and about even or a little below the sear  and about 1/4 inch or so in front of the sear.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:04:12 AM »
Ah ha!  As I suspected.  Take the trigger off the plate, add to its height if necessary, so you can pin it through the lock inlet.  i don't like a creepy trigger any more than I like a hard one, so I pin mine around 5/8" from the sear bar, and tune the lock for a crisp 2.5 pound break.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Hadden West

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
In a modern firearm the trigger and sear are all tied together, making it easier to get a good trigger pull. In a black powder rifle, the trigger is set in wood one place, while the lock is set in a different location. The reason a double set or even a single set trigger works well, is because the set trigger, loads the trigger arm under spring pressure when the set trigger is used. Upon releasing the main trigger, the arm flies up striking the trigger bar. On a single trigger, the geometry must be so as to allow for optimal pressure to press against the pressure of the main spring and the engagement of the sear and full cock notch. Some people know how to achieve the geometry, others don't. The set triggers are simple to set. In a single trigger, reducing the spring pressure will lighten the trigger, but will also slow down the lock time. Reducing the sear engagement, might result in a dangerous situation, and in some cases, ruin the tumbler, all together. As mentioned, repining, and correcting the geometry is the correct way to achieve a better pull. For me, I'll stick with the set triggers. I shoot enough, that it is second nature, and I have never spooked a deer, while setting a trigger.

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
You may need to buy a plain trigger from Davis that matches your trigger with a high flag. Then deepen the trigger slot under the trigger plate. Push out the existing trigger pin. Now fit the new high flag trigger in the stock. Drill then new pivot pin hole 1/2 in forward of the sear arm and about the same height. Once your done you should have a nice 2 to 3 lb trigger with no lock work. This is a bit oversimplified but you should have a good start. BJH
BJH