Author Topic: Boutet pistol build  (Read 11511 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Boutet pistol build
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
Boutet’s presentation pistols were very overdone in my opinion as were the fowlers and rifles. I have studied Boutet and his cohorts for about 20 years. I am positive that Boutet never made any of those guns by himself. But he may have designed them. He had 2000 to 4000 men working for him depending on the period.  As far as replicating those goes it takes a heck of a lot of talent to do so because there are no correct parts that can be bought to do the job.  Even the barrels have their own contour and are different than nearly any other style. The lock shapes a different and all the hardware. Every part has to be designed and molds have to be made to replicate them or they have to be constructed from scratch. Besides that almost every gun he made for presentation was completely different. If you can replicate a Boutet by yourself you are a very exceptional gun maker indeed.
  I wouldn't be satisfied if I didn't make those butt caps on the pistols you showed.  Have fun.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:58:24 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
Looks like a restored bordello.Did the Germans use it as a headquarters during WW2?

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
Well sirs if i'm ever formally challenged to a duel.

Original Boutet pistols at will be my weapon of choice...

at 75 paces

in a thunderstorm!

But then I'm happy to have found this (historic) stock shape so now i can do a little something with these walnut stumps in my woods.  TN-it down a little and add a belt clip. :P

Hold to the Wind

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »
For me the design of these guns are pretty much awful.  Not just all the bling, but the architecture and hardware too.  Yuck!  Compare these to late 17th century French work, by say Piraube and there is no comparison in design and style.  But then again, there is no accounting for taste...

eddillon

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »
Didn't mean to stir up the troops here.  Just want to make a "Boutet style" pistol.  I have held some originals and some replicas.  The architecture is ergonomically comfortable.  My build is for me to enjoy and to shoot.  looking forward to completing the "Boutet style" build. :)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:38 AM »
Sorry for being so outspoken, Ed.  I've got plenty of opinions and don't always keep them to myself ;)  Good luck with the project.

Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 02:28:41 AM »
I like the saw handle English pistols but then on the other side of the coin,I furnished about 130 locks to the German muzzleloader shop for Boutet representations and they are still in use in competitions.As I recall,Helmut Mohr borrowed an original Boutet from a Swiss collector to use a pattern for his pistols.I have seen these pistols and they are nice and very shootable with their Lothar Walther barrels.Some of these pistols have been in use since 1980 and Helmut's prototype since 1979.

Bob Roller

Vomitus

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »
  I like that lock, Mr. Roller!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 03:07:55 AM »
The lock Ed is using is an antique,not one of mine.The locks I made for the German project were 99%exactly like the L&R small Manton or "Bailes".

Bob Roller