Author Topic: cleaning barrel with tow  (Read 10453 times)

Offline dave gross

cleaning barrel with tow
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:56:52 AM »
After decades of cleaning my barrels with flannel patches and any number of highly recommended chemicals, I have been convinced by a shooting associate to convert to the PC method using flax tow and a worm.  So in the past two days I made up a couple of nice helical worms which can be attached to my range rods as needed. My question is; how does one attach or wind onto the worm a quantity of tow of the right size to fit the bore.  My trials resulted in a wad which was either too small or to large to force down the barrel.  I then thought of making a ball of tow, wetting it lightly, chasing it down to the breech and then using the worm to snag it an pull it back to the muzzle.  Worked nicely for several trials.  Anyone having experience along these lines please chime in.....all oracles are welcome. Don Getz, hope you're feeling better.

Dave Gross
Downeast Maine

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: cleaning barrel with tow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:46:44 AM »
With practice you'll find the approximate amount of tow to make your towball with for each bore/worm combo.

then

the

big

secret may jump right up and get you...

R

U

ready?

4 it?

ONCE you make that perfect-sized ball-o-tow, use it and wash it and use it and wash it and use it and wash it.

IOW the tow doesn't magically mix itself all up again when you rinse/wash it.  You should be able to re-use the same hunks of fiber over and over.  

I know i do.  (and it sure beats re-guessing the amounts.)  I just rinse the sooty tow in water a few times with my fingers, allow to dry.  The oily tow is kept separate and it just stays oily.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:52:36 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
I've wanted to try a tow worm for cleaning and oiling,  but I've been unable to find a worm to fit my .40 caliber and .36 caliber rifles. Larger caliber worms can be found, but smaller caliber worms seem to quite difficult to find in the online suppliers I have searched.

B Staley

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
Call Larry Callahan I needed one for my 32 cal  it won't fit my 32 but fits my 40 just fine.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
Larry makes some great Worms and jags,his Moulds are top of the line too.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
I had Jim Webb make my worms...he's a great guy and obviously loves his work.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »
I had Rich Mcdonald make me 4 tow worms that fit all my rifles from my 32 to 62 calibers.

http://www.longknivesandleather.com/

He was very reasonable and makes a very nice tow worm.

Jim Webb has been out of comission with arthritis the past couple months having to use a wheel chair to get around.  I wish him well and hope he gets able to do forge work again.
 He makes fine accountments which are a labor of love.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:48:33 PM by iloco »
iloco

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
I've wanted to try a tow worm for cleaning and oiling,  but I've been unable to find a worm to fit my .40 caliber and .36 caliber rifles. Larger caliber worms can be found, but smaller caliber worms seem to quite difficult to find in the online suppliers I have searched.

Smiling Fox sells a 40-58 with your choice of two thread sizes on the ebay.  Thasswhut I use.

that's another beautiful thing about cleaning with tow.  The worm size isn't critical so long as it will go down the pipe (and attach to your stick).
Hold to the Wind

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:34:09 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on where to locate tow worms to fit my. 36 and. 40 caliber rifles. I had searched several sources previously and was unable to locate worms that were suitable. Thank you!

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »
where is the best place to get tow? 

ratfacedmcdougal

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
 Twice I have bought 1/4#s of tow on ebay for $7.86 including shipping. Type in "tow flax fiber". 1/4# is a quart baggie pretty much stuffed, should last a good long while. I just looked and the folks I got mine from have 7 bags left. They also offer it in 1 pound packages if you really want a life time supply.
  Cheers
   RFMcD

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
I bought my tow at this link. http://flaxforsale.com/html/the_store.html
iloco

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I have a "worm" for my rifle , made by Brad Emig [ Cabin Creek]  I recommend his work.
The worm , and scower for my 10 bore were made for me by Jeff Miller.  Again, excellent quality work. 
Worm for my 20 bore was made by myself.  Woodstove, small anvil and hammer sufficed for the job.  Quality is mediocre but it works   ;D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »

The best questions have been asked before.  ;)  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31360.0
Hold to the Wind

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »
Is the little wrap wire springy that wraps around a wooden ramrod end just as good as the heavy duty tool worm that's threaded into the brass ramrod end?

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:44:59 AM »
I don't like them.i would rather have a good solid worm to work with.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »
Is the little wrap wire springy that wraps around a wooden ramrod end just as good as the heavy duty tool worm that's threaded into the brass ramrod end?

It's absolutely perfect until you pull it off.  :-\

but then i'm just funnin' ya.  I have zero experience with those and i'm sure there are ways to fit them more securely than they appear.   Actually, now that i give it some thought, the "spring" should tighten up under tension, just like a chinese finger trap. ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »
Thanks Nate for reminding us of your tutorial, and answering the original question!  I like the tow method much more than jags and cleaning patches.  First, I am less likely to get something stuck.  Jags seem to require a reasonably precise diameter cleaning patch or either fall off or get stuck. And the tow seems scratchy and irregular enough to get into the grooves easily on a rifle. A potential bonus is that a tow worm can use tow or rags or any kind of fiber that will wrap up around the worm.  So out in the woods, where there are many natural fibers, it would be easy to clean the gun if out of "patches".
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
In order to clean out the grooves, i.e. get a decent thickness of patch on the jag, I took to using one size down jag…i.e. a .45 jag in a .50 cal and a 50 cal jag in my 54 etc.    Switching to a worm has made things much easier.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
When I use a tow worm I allways run a tight fittin jag down the bore just to make sure its clean. I have been surprised a time or two.Yes this is a warning,Curt

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that Curt...the bore of a fine rifle is no place to store black powder muck...creates habitat for iron worms.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.