Author Topic: Lead dipper--EASY  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Kermit

Lead dipper--EASY
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
This from the website of Jeff Tanner, he of roundball mold fame. I'd be interested if I didn't have 3 Ideals.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/docs/Lead_Dipper.pdf
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Lead dipper--EASY
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »
Yeah, i saw that when i ordered my 530.  I might make one anyway.  We use co2 in place of a pump for bicycle tires when in a rush or pump is not handy.

But then i use a bottom pour pot, and have a modern dipper (to be modified-it's fugly).

Opens up the mind as to what else those tiny gas cylinders might be good for.
Hold to the Wind

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
I made one similar but with the spark cover from an oxweld striker and a long lag bolt.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

hammer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
Yes, hadn't seen Jeff's but made up a couple some years back.  I cut a section out of the body rather than right at the end, made it easier to clean.    Can leave the cylinder floating on the lead to keep it hot between pours.   I did find the cylinder cooled quickly versus a normal small ladle dipper.  But, if the cylinder is kept very hot and the spout hole is large enough, you can press the spout into the sprue hole of the mould when filling and save having that surplus lead all over the sprue cutter that has to be dropped back into the pan.   Much the same as with the electric melters.