Author Topic: Strange Fowler  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Strange Fowler
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Here is a very strange fowler I came across a few years ago.  What's weird is the barrel is about 66 inches long or longer and it goes Octagon to Round to Octagon.  I am looking for my other photos but here is the one I could find.  I have always wondered about where it was from and who might have made it.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Strange Fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
Found another picture.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
Last picture I have

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:55:33 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
Can you be more specific about "octagon to round to octagon?"  How long was the final octagonal portion to the muzzle?  I've seen quite a few old snaphaunce barrels like that, but the muzzle octagonal portion was usually fairly short, only a couple of inches.  Phil Ackerman used to have some old barrels like this for sale up at Ticonderoga now and then, most were pretty darned long.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »
Eric,  My recollection is that the octagonal portion at the muzzle was about 8 inches, but I really can't be sure.    I found one more picture if it helps.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
Oddly, I'm just finishing up a gun with a barrel in that contour. I saw that style on a NE gun years ago at a gun show and could never get it out of my head.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »
Berks County PA?
Andover, Vermont