Author Topic: I want a Herschel House gun  (Read 39582 times)

bnail

I want a Herschel House gun
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
owning one of Herschel's guns has long been tops on my list, but I've never made any serious attempts at trying to find  one 'till now.
anyone know if he's still taking orders, or who's working in the Woodbury school?

pbigham

Re: I want a Herschel House gun
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:28:01 AM »
 You can at times find one for sale. I have seen a few at the CLA shows for sale, be prepared to pay a premium price. I think he has a long list of people waiting for him to build them one. If you are fortunate to be on the list.  Best of luck

bnail

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:18:47 AM »
I wondered if he was even still taking orders. 

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:08:42 AM »
Well there are certainly a lot of them out there.  Finding someone willing to turn loose of one is another matter.  If you do it's gonna cost ya.

Good luck,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dave R

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:15:30 AM »
Bnall,

He may be taking orders he can build one in short order however he only builds one once in a blue moon! Or if he needs the money!!
Better find one built! I know of a gentleman that had one for sale back a month or two ago and don't know if it sold or still for sale? It is one built around 1969 / 70? with a I think 54 cal swamped barrel iron hardware  full length walnut stock and large slier lock! If interested send me an email and I will check with him and see if it is still available?

Dave R
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:33:56 AM by Dave R »

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
There was one at the CLA show for $4800. 
Brice Stultz

bnail

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
There was one at the CLA show for $4800. 
how are Hershel's guns valued?  Early period vs later: one valued higher than the other? 

is there an average price range? 

I think I just need to get down to the shows and see for myself

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Herschel's guns........never saw one I didn't like.  As for price, whatever the owner has
the guts to ask.   I first met Herschel in 1977 at the Eastern rendezvous in Brookville,
in the rain and mud.  Now, when I see him, he greets me as "Mr. Don".   A very unique
individual............Don

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
The true value of any desirable item is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller,no more,no less.

Bob Roller

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »
Not just Herschel's guns. His knives seem to sell within minutes of their listing on the CLA site. No other knife maker has this much appeal.
Joel Hall

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
My neighbor has 4 Hershel House rifles and 1 pistol.  I drool over them ever time I visit.  His work is one of a kind.
 I have 2 of his knives. His knives sell faster than anyone elses knive.  He sure has a following for his items.
iloco

bnail

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
The true value of any desirable item is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller,no more,no less.

Bob Roller
the whole value concept,  of worth vs. price,  made me reluctant to even post this queries, but I didn't really know how else to phrase it. Of course you're 100% correct Bob that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  However, I'm more interested in the intrinsic value of Hershel's guns today and what the average market value is; especially when comparing a new-built (if that's even a possibility) with a previously owned rifle. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:32 PM »
My question is why do you want a H H rifle?  At this point I imagine he is at the pinnacle of producing rifles for those that don't have to give a thought to their cost.  I'm sure he's there because he earned that place.  He's fully developed both the talent and the persona.  So back to why do you want one?   
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

bnail

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »
My question is why do you want a H H rifle?  At this point I imagine he is at the pinnacle of producing rifles for those that don't have to give a thought to their cost.  I'm sure he's there because he earned that place.  He's fully developed both the talent and the persona.  So back to why do you want one?   
have wanted one since I first saw him in Foxfire.  it's a personal thing but I've always liked Hershel's style and I would like to have one of his rifles to take the woods with me.  unfortunately, as a youngster, I never thought I could afford one of his guns, but now, I fear they've become "investment" pieces and, consequently, priced accordingly. 

To comment on your second sentence, I feared that a House gun may have reached the point of "if you gotta ask, then you can't afford it."

It's part prestige, but mostly a sense that this guy gets it and it shows in his work. 

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
Im guessing they are investment grade now and I have images of guys driving exotic sports cars with one over the mantle of their camp that they rarely visit because they are too busy chasing prestige.  They take them out and shoot them and become frustrated because they don't have time to work up a proper load and had the expectation that they would put powder and lead in it and it would ahoot dead on because its a H H. I am sure there are many guys that don't fit this fantasy so if your one of them don't get all pissy with me. Could just be the knob creek clouding my judgement.  His knives and guns are works of art.  For my part I would like to have a nice herman rupp by allen martin
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

bnail

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
Im guessing they are investment grade now and I have images of guys driving exotic sports cars with one over the mantle of their camp that they rarely visit because they are too busy chasing prestige.  They take them out and shoot them and become frustrated because they don't have time to work up a proper load and had the expectation that they would put powder and lead in it and it would ahoot dead on because its a H H. I am sure there are many guys that don't fit this fantasy so if your one of them don't get all pissy with me. Could just be the knob creek clouding my judgement.  His knives and guns are works of art.  For my part I would like to have a nice herman rupp by allen martin
No Worries,  I'm not offended.  I want a House gun, but if the realities of the situation dictate otherwise, I would at least like to have a rifle built by someone who's studied with Hershel.  like I said earlier, I just need to get to some of the shows.  this internet $#@* is a poor substitute.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »
I would check out Chuck Edwards.  Or Mel Hankla.

Offline Gunner

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:25 AM »
Agree, Chuck Edwards is a long time friend of Hershel's. They collaborated on a build that was featured in the June 2004 Muzzle Blasts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:30:48 AM by Gunner »
St. Louis Area, Missouri

bnail

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »
Agree, Chuck Edwards is a long time friend of Hershel's. They collaborated on a build that was featured in the June 2004 Muzzle Blasts.
thanks for the heads up guys

Oldbow

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
Had one of Franks rifles for several years. Hunted and drug it around on treks all over.

Got so paranoid with caring a high $$$$ gun. I sold it........ big regret!!!!

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Talk to Frank. He still builds them and its a House rifle!
Darrin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:18:20 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
I talked with Frank House at the recent CLA and he is no longer taking orders for rifles. He said he was too busy with restoration work and other stuff. Tim Cosby

bnail

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »
I talked with Frank House at the recent CLA and he is no longer taking orders for rifles. He said he was too busy with restoration work and other stuff. Tim Cosby
well that sucks!

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
I'd recommend checking with Ian Pratt - a very good maker in the Woodbury style
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
If you want a top builder, you are going to have to learn patience.  On the bright side, it gives you time to save up.  If I wanted a woodbury, Ian would be the guy.