Author Topic: I want a Herschel House gun  (Read 39478 times)

Offline sqrldog

Re: I want a Herschel House gun
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »
I had a conversation with Ian about four or five months or so back. Said he was about four or five years backlogged and wasn't taking any new orders. May have changed since I spoke with him. Give him a call and see. He does great work. Tim Cosby

Offline Kermit

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »
You'd surely have time to save up. I think when I spoke with Ian he figured he could have a gun to me in something like 5 years. You may be younger than I am.  ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:45 AM »
bnail: "It's part prestige, but mostly a sense that this guy gets it and it shows in his work." 
Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants and will not be denied, but you should know there are a lot of folks and many right here that 'get it', and it shows in their work. Good luck to you!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

bnail

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »
bnail: "It's part prestige, but mostly a sense that this guy gets it and it shows in his work." 
Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants and will not be denied, but you should know there are a lot of folks and many right here that 'get it', and it shows in their work. Good luck to you!
Robby
So True Robby and that's about where I'm at.  there are great builders out there whose work I've seen, but no names ever stuck out.  I figure I never will own a House gun,  but I'll keep looking and learning.  one of the reasons I posted this topic was that I did not turn up much when I searched the site for "Hershel House" or Woodbury.   

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 02:34:31 AM »
Chuck Edwards has a website. Take a look.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 04:52:01 AM »
Im guessing they are investment grade now and I have images of guys driving exotic sports cars with one over the mantle of their camp that they rarely visit because they are too busy chasing prestige. 

Huh?
Perhaps you're dealing with some insecurity issues?

John  ;D
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
Im guessing they are investment grade now and I have images of guys driving exotic sports cars with one over the mantle of their camp that they rarely visit because they are too busy chasing prestige.  

Huh?
Perhaps you're dealing with some insecurity issues?

John  ;D

All my life actually.  Some handle it differently than others.  I've heard say that the dude with the flashy exotic car is just as insecure as the guy who keeps his money in the bank afraid to buy one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:44:12 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

JoeG

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
I wish you luck in finding one. I have one of his early pieces that was built in the 1970's.
I bought it in 1981. I would not sell or trade it for any other makers work. Herschel's work has a feel all of its own. They all fit like an old friend.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »
Hi Bruce,
I wish you the best of luck in finding a House gun but should that prove impossible or impractical, consider other great makers.  I believe that Jim Kibler's guns will eventually carry the same prestige, value, and appeal as any House gun ever made. I totally get your long-term desire for an HH gun and maybe a call to him might open a door but if you are at a brick wall, take a look at Jim's work.  I make a pretty fair gun and I am not a bad artist, and in my opinion, Jim is the most artistic gunmaker working today, and unlike some others, his artistry focuses on the creativity in making a good workingman's gun.  It is honest and unpretentious.  He is a very great maker.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

4th La.

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 01:28:57 AM »
Bruce, I contacted a friend who collects Herschel's work. He knows of a rifle for sale that was on the cover of Field and Stream magazine years ago. He says it is a very nice rifle. As for pricing he says a plain H.H. probably would be $4,500.00 or so. A nice embellished piece around $6,500.00. With lots of pieces in-between these prices. If you would like to speak to him, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you his info. This info. will be for  the guy who collects House's work, not for the guy with the gun for sale.
Hope This Helps.
Bob 
E-Mail   gwomel@aol.com

Offline Bart

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:02 AM »
I know how you feel when it comes to the passion to own a Hershel House gun; been there myself. I've tried for years to get he or Frank to build a gun for me, to no avail. You may want to consider trying to contact their younger brother John, he makes an honest rifle and you can see a lot of Hershel and Frank's influence in his work. Just a suggestion!!

Another angle is to contact Judson Brennan or even Allen Martin for a build.

Good luck man!!

Bart

IKE

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 04:47:45 AM »
I am not as well known but I do work in the WOODBURY SCHOOL and have studied under H.H..
Check my web site  eitnierrifles.com
I am not and NEVER WILL BE  H.H. butt he taught me a lot.
THANKS FOR LOOKING!
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns
765-798-3525

IKE

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 04:58:47 AM »
I have a nice 50 Cal. relic gun on the CLA web site at this time.
THANKS FOR LOOKING
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns

coutios

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
     If you want something bad enough... Throw a BIG $ number out there that your willing to spend and you might find out there is a whole bunch for sale....  But Dave's right there are some
fine builders out there that if you wait to long you will not get on their list either....

Good luck
Dave

Offline aaronc

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
It would be something on my "get list" as well. Love iron mounted guns and by no means opposed to considering another high end maker someday,........but I did make it to the CLA show and got to see at least one of his rifles in person, impressive piece if you like that look. I'm a newcomer to this circle, irony is I grew up within 12-15 miles of him and never heard his name that I know of until I started down this road of interest a few years back................who knew.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
Hey Bnail - what you really need to do is to get out to some shows, something large like the CLA show or the Gunmaker's Fair.  There's always all kinds of scary talk about how much this or that will go for, very daunting with dancing dollar figures that always seem inconceivable.  Then you go to a show and talk to a seller in person.  I've seen HH rifles for sale that I thought were very reasonably priced, great pieces with heart that were definitely not plain Janes either.

I also think that once you get to a show where there may be a number of other guys working in the same style, like Jerry who posted above, I think you may end up going home with a completely different girlfriend!  If this bad analogy makes sense...
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

bnail

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Thanks Eric, i think you're spot on with your analogy.  appreciate the advice too.  I know there's boat loads of great builders out there, and I need to get out and meet some of 'em.  is there a place where the various shows are listed?  I've only ever heard of Dixon's and Friendship and I just recently heard about the CLA show. 
Said I wouldn't join anything else, but I'm joining the CLA; I need to educate myself!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
The CLA Show to me is the ultimate show dedicated to muzzle loading guns,I have never been to Dixon's  but have heard it's good. Friendship is fun but looks more like a county fair junk swap with a trashy flea market on the property just East of the range property.

Bob Roller

bnail

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:48 PM »
thanks Bob. appreciate the insight.  putting CLA on my calendar.

IKE

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
THANKS!
Eric

Offline RAT

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Chuck Edwards has a rifle on his site...

http://chuckedwardsflintlocks.blogspot.com/

Bob

Offline Dave R

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
Bnail,

I think you might be very happy with that Chuck Edwards gun!!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
A lot of "other" gunmakers have been mentioned, but, Herschel is the only one building
Herschel guns.  Nothing wrong with those others, but they are not the right one.  No
one else has the right to put "H. House" on the barrel.  It's difficult to describe what he
does to his guns, but, they are unique.  There are several collectors that have several
H. House guns, Dave Milem and the late Randall Mills have some.....no idea of how
many.   Crazy thing, but when Herschel is gone, I hate to think of what they might sell
for.  It's fun when he shows up at a show and you put out your hand to greet him, his
comment is always....."Mr. Don"............Don

Vomitus

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
   I don't know anyone who wouldn't want a HH gun. They do come around but are scooped up before you can get to the phone. Another guy,who's stuff I really like is Ian Pratt. He's an iron man also. Builds 'em right!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »
I ran into a guy who won this John House rifle after investing a buck for a raffle ticket. I told him a ball park figure of what is was worth, he didn't have a clue and was amazed that his dollar investment was probably worth several thousand.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:11:19 PM by Eric Krewson »