Author Topic: W.G. Sutter info?  (Read 8835 times)

Mike R

W.G. Sutter info?
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »
I posted this under antique guns before I realized that he may be a 20th cent maker.  A friend has a lock inscribed W.G. Sutton, Ruffsdale, Pa which is an engraved Bedford Co style flintlock that has a patina but was never mounted on a rifle.  Do any of you know of this maker?

Ben Gorey

Re: W.G. Sutter info?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:37:54 AM »
W.G. Sutter (Worthe G.) born in Ruffsdale, PA in 1896. As a young boy began working with his grandfather John C. He began making rifles flint and percussion in the 1920's. Hand made from muzzle to butt, outstanding workmanship of the old school. Also made locks. Featured in an article in Muzzle Blasts quite a few years ago.

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Thanks, my friend may have one of his handmade locks--a fine engraved Bedford flintlock.  He found it at a flea market and paid $5 for it! 

samkom

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
I'm originally from Ruffsdale, and my Dad knew Worth Sutter (pronounced "Suit-er") in the 1960s and 70s. He was a real "Jed Clampett" kind of a guy who lived out in the sticks, and was an amazingly talented gunsmith, with a client list that reportedly included corporate heads from the Pittsburgh area. He had a small, two-story shop where he plied his trade using a minimum of power equipment. His sons and grandsons worked with him, and they also made custom powder horns to go along with the guns. This lock is a find from a bygone era. I'm pleased to see such interest in this reminder of my boyhood.

I understand that these locks were sold by Dixie Gun Works of Union City, Tennessee, which would have placed them a little closer to Louisiana.

I'd be very interested in getting a copy of that Muzzle Blasts article, if anyone has it in their collection.

Thanks for the memories!

JohnTyg

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
Just reviewing old threads and thought to add a photo.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:37:56 AM »
This is classic Sutter. Please show the insides because that IS the lock regardless of the
shape and markings on the plate.

Bob Roller

JohnTyg

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:51:54 AM »
Rob,

I'll take photos of the reverse side and get them up this weekend.

I usually get the best pics in overcast daylight and I think the internal workmanship here is interesting enough to show some detail.

Purchased this about 10 years ago and payed way too much thinking it was an original.

John

JohnTyg

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:57:05 AM »
Sorry meant Bob, (Named my son Robert after my father (Bob), but he insists on being called Rob).

JohnTyg

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
Bob,

More pics as requested.  Looks like the lock plate, bolster, and pan were three pieces brazed together.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »
Thank you. That is some of Mr.Sutter's better work and is seldom seen
today. I have NEVER seen one of Ted Cole's locks on a gun or anywhere
other than his booth at Friendship ove 50 years ago.

Bob Roller