Author Topic: Should I use this original mule ear?  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Should I use this original mule ear?
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
Not sure where this should go, so if the monitors need to move it there will be no problem on my end.  I posted about my M'Clallan mule ear a couple of weeks back and got some great information on the maker.  When I bought the lock I intended to use it on a rifle, but others have suggested that it is nearly new in appearance, and keeping it for collector value/reference would be the best way to go.  It is fully functional and has been drilled and tapped for a lock bolt, so I assume it has been on a rifle at some time.  I'm going to take a straw poll here and see what the general membership thinks.  If I don't use it, I will probably sell it and buy a contemporary mule ear or trade it for one.  What do you guys think?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline alyce-james

Re: Should I use this original mule ear?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
Roger B.; Good afternoon Sir, sell it to me I'll use it. Thanks, AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
Ill take that as a "yes" vote for using the lock since you would.
Roger B
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:14:05 AM »
Locks can be collectible items in themselves. If it is new and largely unused, why put it to use now? You can make another following this one as a pattern, or you can get a new one to use.
So, I vote NO. Keep it as a valuable piece, which it is.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:29:59 AM »
It was made to be used and should at least be put on an appropriate rifle if not one that will be shot. Don't know what good comes from sitting in a drawer.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »
I'd use it.  It has been drilled tapped, it's used and not the pristine item that collectors go mad over.

If it breaks it wasn't a good one.  And it can be TIG welded back as original then make castings if you like.  Or blueprint it now before you put it into service. 

Even if i wasn't going to use it much, it'd look BETTER on a gun than in the drawer. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »
I dunno, I think my collection of original locks look pretty good in their walnut frame. Buy some people books and they eat the covers.
Dick

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
It is not unusual for locks of that time  to be drilled and tapped by the maker. Unless thenose of the hammer shows erosion from percussion caps, I would not assume it was used. Personally I don't think used but in good condition hurts the collectibility. I have a few original locks but just considered them interesting study pieces, so am not a good source of collectable value on parts.
 Reminds me of the guy that had an original butt plate and trigger guard on his table at a show.  He wanted $90 apiece for them. I asked what they wwere off of.  He didn't know.  I told him that was too much money for something with no known origin. Offered him $50 for the pair and he accepted. I knew they were from a second model Virginia Mfg rifle.  I was about to feel guilty about not educating him, when he volunteered that he had also had the patchbox but sold it separately.  He claimed to be a collector of Virginia rifles.  I quickly lost any feelings of guilt

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Not sure where this should go, so if the monitors need to move it there will be no problem on my end.  I posted about my M'Clallan mule ear a couple of weeks back and got some great information on the maker.  When I bought the lock I intended to use it on a rifle, but others have suggested that it is nearly new in appearance, and keeping it for collector value/reference would be the best way to go.  It is fully functional and has been drilled and tapped for a lock bolt, so I assume it has been on a rifle at some time.  I'm going to take a straw poll here and see what the general membership thinks.  If I don't use it, I will probably sell it and buy a contemporary mule ear or trade it for one.  What do you guys think?
Roger B.

They don't make originals any more. If you can buy a contemporary lock why use an original?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger B

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:23:27 PM »
I tend to agree with you Dan, but the only maker of mule ears of whom I am aware is Bernie Tulino, and his site says he doesn't always have them available.  I'll sell this one and buy a modern lock if I can find one, especially with a true half cock like this one has.  Open to ideas!
Roger B.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 02:39:02 AM »
I dunno, I think my collection of original locks look pretty good in their walnut frame. Buy some people books and they eat the covers.
Dick

Didn't realize my thoughts on using old locks would elicit such a strong response that it would drive an otherwise good natured fellow to feel the need to categorize people in that unbecoming way.  I'll take that as friendly ribbing even though I didn't see a smiley face after it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:40:26 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:44 AM »
1. What kind of value are you placing on this lock? 2. We have several different type of people on this board. There are builders who shoot and collect, then builders who collect and then you have the collectors. I personally fall into the builder, shooter, collector group. I see the shooter side plus the collector side so it makes it a tuff decision sometimes. In this case I tend to side with the shooter, this is a late period lock that does not have great value but is in very good shape why not build a rifle to put it on. I think it would honer the lock and it s maker. I bought a matched pair of original back action locks a while backs for $15, I Probably could not sell them for much more than that today.   These locks are good enough to put on a shooter and someday that will probably happen, a new pair of back action locks would cost me over $200 and would not have near the style and pizzaz of the originals.

Now if I run up on a pair of Manton's that is a horse of a different color, they would wind up in their own little case.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:01:52 AM »
Roger, it would be nice if you posted a photo of the lock in question. That way, informed opinions can be made whereas most are just speculating. How about it?
Dick

Online Virginiarifleman

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 03:15:22 AM »
Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that lock to be used. use it and enjoy the quality of an old craftsman.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:38 AM »
Here are my two cents worth as a collector and shooter. I admire, appreciate, and enjoy the lock display board at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio, which I study in their fine museum every time I get to visit there. I am very eager and hopeful to see mr. no gold's lock display some day, if possible. If the lock in question here were an original hand made 250 year old flintlock, I would display it as is and avoid cocking it. However, the risk of damaging this mule ear lock by mounting it in a rifle and using it is minimal, assuming no new holes or other alterations need to be made. I think a rifle stock is a great place to display an old serviceable lock, and  this 150 year old mule ear lock I hope to see displayed on this post some day surrounded by new wood. I also think it is very appropriate to sign and date all contemporary work so that even with an original lock the rifle will not be taken for an original antique piece. :)  Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Roger B

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 05:34:56 AM »
Im out of town right now, but i will post some pictures when i get back on wednesday. Since the lock is in good condition and functions well, i think it should be worth as much as a contemporary lock in similar shape. I would pay $125.00 for it if i had to buy it today. The good news is that i got it much cheaper and i don't know why. The maker was a New Yorker, but i find those guns unattractive. Would make a good chunk gun, but no one out in the desert shoots chunk. I just bought a Douglas
.40, so it may become an offhand Southern full stock.
Roger B.