Author Topic: hunting  (Read 15991 times)

Offline oldways

hunting
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
For all of you that hunt, do you pre-measure your loads or load from a horn into a measure? More along the lines of hunting deer.Two weeks till early muzzle loader season for doe here in Ohio.

Offline Klatch

• Starting Member
Re: hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
I actually carry a flask in a pouch with the spout down so I don't fill it with brush.  I measure into an antler measure, no pre measure.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
 Pre-measured charges all the way. I live in brush country, so having a horn would be like being anchored in the brush. I made measures from brass tubing, with a flat piece of brass soldered on the bottom for a base. The tubing is sized to fit down the bore, and the base is sized to stop at he muzzle. I solder a cut off brass cotter pin in the base that allows it to be attached to a lanyard. I unplug the measure which is plugged with an undersized ball, with a long patch, and drop the measure in the muzzle, and fish it out by the lanyard. The ball, and patch, are in a patch block, and are sized to load faster than the first charge, since the follow up shot will most likely be at close range.

Hungry Horse

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Horn into an antler measure, loading block on a lanyard with patch/ball combo ready to go.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
Horn into an antler measure, loading block on a lanyard with patch/ball combo ready to go.

I do the same.
iloco

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
I shoot with a horn and pouch - never load from a shooting box or bench.  So my hands move without having to think, to retrieve the components automatically.  To have to try something I don't practice with would seriously interfere with the efficiency of loading that second shot.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »
 Both.depending on the moment, however I more often go premeasure,,just easier in the woods.

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
 From Horn to Measure, for my rifles. Will probably go to pre-measure with pre-loaded shot when I get my Smoothbore made.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
I carry premeasured powder charges with loose balls and prelubed patches in small container.  Since I mostly hunt deer and elk the likely hood of needing to speed load the second shot would be unusual. 

Offline Levy

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
I used to pre-measure when hunting deer, but now I use a horn, turkey leg bone measure and a bullet board for squirrel hunting.

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »
Horn, measure and cut patches at the muzzle.   Nothin shootin back --- yet.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline JBJ

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »
Ditto Standing Bear. Not trying to bite me either.

J.B.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »
For small game hunting I carry a special shooting bag with attached horn and for the early muzzleloading deer season a slightly larger and different shooting bag with a horn.  For later in deer  season I usually carry pre-measured charges if it's going to be pretty cold.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
Been 35 yrs Horn to cane measure and patched ball in loading block down the pipe. I doubt I could do it any other way
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »
When hunting I carried a small bag or day horn, a measure, and a loading block, all in the bag, attached with cord or thong so as not to lose them. Never saw need for premeasured powder.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline oldways

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 03:49:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.I was just curious as to what works and I guess that depends on what kind of area you hunt and what your comfortable with using in the field. I have a horn and bag, but it may not be good because of where i hunt,its a mix of woods,thickets and brushy fields. Need to find something to put  pre-measured loads in.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 03:50:43 AM »
Usually I use a horn, pouch, and a loading block [ fastened to my pouch strap over my sternum]  However- when hunting bears or moose, I have taken to using paper cartridges.  These work just as well in my rifle as they do in my smoothbore.
I sewed a pocket in my pouch to carry anywhere from 4 to 6 of them .  

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:33 AM »
I like to use my horn and measure.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
I shoot with a horn and pouch - never load from a shooting box or bench.  So my hands move without having to think...

Points well taken.  

Hey Taylor, doesn't your bro use paper cartridges out of a block?  That's what I plan to try, but haven't yet.  This season season find me out a preferred hunting re-load method.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:25:16 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
I load from a powder horn into a antler powder measure. I also use loading blocks and a small priming horn.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline BJH

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
I use paper cartridges for powder. And a ball block with one hole empty. The short starter stays in the empty hole in the block in my pouch. In use after tearing the paper cartridg with my teeth and pouring it into the muzzle. The loading block and short starter comes out of the pouch in one hand full. Start and ram the ball. A fast reload is really a misnomer.  This is all just a convenience for me up in a tree stand. No horn To go klunk when I move in the stand. BJH
BJH

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:38:56 AM »
I started off my BP career using bag and horn.  The statement about using pre-measured charges during the cold months is because my puffy, insulated camo coat has a parka hood that can't be taken off.  It makes it nigh impossible to get a strap over my head & shoulder;  it goes no farther than my neck.  So what works with all my other (only two, actually) hunting coats simply won't with the camo parka.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:10 AM »
 Down Under, I use horn and either antler or brass, or horn tip measure,  3patched balls in a loading block for a quick follow up shot, iffen I don't be carrying my Navy.  Paper cartridges in my rifle muskets.  I don't hunt in scrub that heavy that my gear would catch on anything.

cheers
       Gordon.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

navygunner

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
I normally use a flask into a brass measure and loading block and straight line capper for my underhammer. My flint smoothie when it arrives will probably use premeasure loader with shot and powder. Late Nov and Dec hunts in Michigan can get cold LOL.

NG

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »
I use a horn with antler measure that fits into a little pocket sewn onto the horn strap.  Balls are in a ball bag and pre-cut patches in a little box, both inside the pouch.  During deer hunting I have a bullet block on a thong around my neck.  But with the .54 I've never needed a "quick" second shot.

Best Regards,

JMC