Author Topic: hunting  (Read 15982 times)

Offline oldways

Re: hunting
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
What size flask are you guys using and can you buy one with a spout to throw a certain amount of powder for a rifle? I'm using 85 grains of 2F with a 490 ball and denim patch. I cut my patches in 2"x 2" squares and cut them at the muzzle, so I not sure if I can use a loading block. The area I'm hunting next weekend would be a real hassle to carry horns for priming and powder. I don't know anything about paper cartridge powder loads,what to use and how to make them. Just want to limit the amount of things to put in my bag and carry.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
While not for the PC/HC person, I like this from Track. You CAN attach a spout that will measure rifle loads, I wouldn't and don't. I used this with their short "pouring spout" and used a measure. The reason I like this one is that the valve is a push-type that's easy to operate with cold hands. Small "bag horns" are good too.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/69/2/FLASK-HS
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:07:16 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline oldways

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
Thankyou for your reply Kermit, that looks small enough to carry in a pocket or bag and easy to use. At one time I used 35mm film containers with pre-measured loads, easy to use but takes up to much room.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »
Pre-measured, you mean like these - work great in large bores, especially when it's -40 on a moose hunt.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:40:46 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline blackbruin

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »
I use a bag and powderhorn with an antler tip powder measure thronged to my bag strap. Even in heavy laurel cover I don't have issues carrying it.

Gruxxx

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »
I load from the horn and bag, with the exception that I have paper cartridges on hand for my smoothie.

Steve-In

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
Horn, bag, loading block.  I carry 2 extra loads in a small vial.  I had my horn strap break once and spilled my powder.  Just one thing to grab.  For my turkey gun I carry 4 preloads in my vest as I doubt I will ever need to use that many shots on a turkey hunt.

Offline oldways

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
Well again thanks for all your replies,I did order the small flask that Kermit suggested from track. I always carry extra with me, powder,patches,balls now I'll include a flint screw driver,powder measure all in a bag.

Offline oldways

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
To all of you that have replied to my post I thank you, but I feel that we have gone off course from what my intent was for information on what you use when hunting, to carry powder,patches,all the things necessary you might need. Maybe I should have titled if different. I to have a lot of the same frustrations when it comes to hunting,but I think that's a topic in itself. Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes.                             Sincerely W. Grimes