Author Topic: Need help on this old rifle  (Read 3353 times)

gunsbrad

Need help on this old rifle
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:08:41 AM »
Hello all.  I have long been a lurker here, but this is my first time around posting.  I hope this is the right place for this, and I hope I am not breaching any rules of etiquette.  If this post is off-putting let me know and I will move or remove it.

I am a school teacher by trade, but I have built a few long rifles in amongst my other interests of more modern type black powder cartridge rifles.  I know about styling and some history, but I don't know much about the actual collecting of antique rifles. 

An acquaintance of mine who is a retired school teacher recently had a brother pass on and left him with some awful nice firearms.  My acquaintance knows nothing of firearms and cares less.  He and his wife both have some pretty severe ailments and I think he would like to sell them, but at this time I am not sure. I am quite certain their Dr. bills are extensive. He asked me to find out what they are worth, and where he might possibly sell them.  Most of the guns are more modern types that are much easier to put a value to.  There was however a 1850 springfield musket and this rifle.  I am guessing gunbroker is not the best place to sell these so her is where you guys come in.  Any advice you can give would be appreciated, but I am mostly looking for a value and where/how best to sell this piece.

This is a walnut halfstocked percusion rifle with patent breach in .36 caliber.  I guess from the 1850's or so but not for sure.   Bbl is 32"long full octagon with under rib, and round bottom rifling.  J.C. Grubb and Co Phila marked on  top flat, and lock plate.  All mounts appear to be silver.  German silver maybe?  Stock has flat top checkering which appears to be original.  Maybe.  It is very well done and long ago.  Patent breach has 2 silver bands inlaid.  Set triggers function great.  I believe this gun could be fired.  Engraving is very nice.   The only bugger I see is a repair on the hammer nose.  I tried to take some pics but they are none too nice It looks way better in person.  I am sure I forgot something important, but let me try to show you a pic.

gunsbrad

Re: Need help on this old rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:10:41 AM »
Forgot to tell you, the cap box lid is a little floppy.  It will not flop open, you have to pull it, but the spring will not keep it all the way closed.

TIA

Brad Hurt

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »
Very nice rifle, and 1850's sounds about right. Sellers lists Grubb as a retailer from 1839 - 1886, and says he stamped his name on guns manufactured by others. Maybe so. I can't help you on value.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
A.  Merwyn Carey's "American Firearms Makers" lists Joseph C. Grubb, 1855-1886. "Shop located at 712 Market St., Philadelphia, Pa.. General gunsmith and dealer."