Author Topic: Knapping. the flint  (Read 6432 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Knapping. the flint
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
What are some of your preferred methods of knapping a gun flint while on the gun. What tools do you use. I know about small knapping hammers, but I'm guessing other implements are used as well.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Knapping. the flint
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
I have a little tool that I made that resembles the tip / end section of a Robertson screwdriver.   The "ledge" sits on the flint edge, while the "tit' acts as a guide or stop.  It rides along the edge of the flint while I tap it with the handle of my knife.  It allows for a very well controlled dressing of the flint edge.  Pretty simple to use.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
 Exactly what Bob said, except I tap it with my snapping hammer.You get a lot more miles out of every flint.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »
I made a knapping hammer with a screwdriver handle from a piece of copper given to me by Taylor Sapergia.  I hold a finger under the flint edge while pulling the cock out of battery.  Then I tap the edge at an angle and flakes line up on my finger from the flint bottom.  Not pulling the cock out of battery causes the tapping to put stress on the sear.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
At the range I use a small "hammer" I made from a chunk of antler and a copper chunk from a large fuse, hunting I use the back of my hunting knife.

Ron T.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »
I did the "knapping" thing for a while, but noticed I was knocking off fairly large pieces of the flint in knapping it, so I looked around for a better way to make and keep my flints sharp... and I found it.

Harbor Freight has a diamond impregnated file set (9 or maybe 10 small files of different shapes and sizes) for $9.95 that work just great for sharpening and shaping the "nose" of the flints.  A few strokes of the file and the flint's edge is sharp again with no real loss of the flint's body itself.

This method seems to be a much better way to sharpen the nose of the flint and there's no chipping away of the flint itself.  Thus the flints are lasting a lot longer.  So I carry one of the several files in the old fishing tackle box in which I keep all my muzzle-loading "stuff" to take to the rifle range with me when I go shooting.

My old tackle box is like a "possibles bag"... and is very handle to carry to the rifle range, but naturally, I don't use it when I go hunting... it's too big and clumsy for that use.

Jus' my 2˘...    ;D 

Strength& Honor...

Ron T.   

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:08 AM »
 Ron T;

Myself, and others here, prefer the knapping pin. It removes minuscule flakes, and produces a cutting edge sharper than one worried away with an abrasive. It is a lot faster as well. If I get a good flint I can get 60-70 shots out of it, using this method.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »
Sharp is right !   Wiped out the pan the other day, and sliced my finger……again  ::)    I have got to stop forgetting about that razor sharp flint   :-[

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:43:12 AM »
Could someone illustrate or describe a knapping pin? I've never seen, or heard of one before it was mentioned here. I'd like to give one a try. I have a small set of "duck bill" pliers that I'm going to try. They came in a set of mini for hobyists purchased from Harbor Freight years ago. They are hardly HC, but small enough to fit in my shooting pouch.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
Here is what I use.

The Pistol Shooter

Mike R

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »
I use a large soft iron nail that I notched at the end--similar to the illustration shown on another reply. but one-sided.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 04:39:42 PM »
 I use a piece of 3/16ths mild steel. Brass just goes away too fast. The working part of this little tool, is the sharp outer edge of the step. When that goes away the tool doesn't work nearly as well. Thats why I use mild steel instead of brass.

Hungry Horse