Author Topic: Information on 18th century rifle found by St. Lawrence River  (Read 6063 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Information on 18th century rifle found by St. Lawrence River
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:31 AM »
Hi Folks,
While at the Eastern PA Longrifle Show, my brother, Nils, saw a rifle that was purported by the current owner to have been found in mud along the St. Lawrence River with a burst barrel.  Some member of a Canadian family found the gun and it was in that family for many years.  The barrel was repaired and restored and the basic style of the rifle was Lancaster-like, according to my brother.  I did not see the gun so cannot offer any details other than what Nils told me.  Anyway, does this gun ring a bell with anyone?  Can anyone tell me more about it? The story is unique and I expect that some collectors on this forum may have heard the story of this gun.  Could it have been owned by a member of Morgan's Rifle Corps during their attack on Quebec in 1775?  Nils is the current commander of Morgan's Rifle Corps of the Brigade of the American Revolution, which explains his keen interest. I would appreciate any info folks may have.  Thanks.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Information on 18th century rifle found by St. Lawrence River
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
Dave,
    If I remember correctly there was a write up on several rifles that were apparently recovered near Brockville, Ontario.  I believe that they are in the hands of the Canadian government.  One of these rifles was of general Lancaster style.  Apparently the Saint Lawrence has been collecting rifles for some time.
     I can't help you with this specific rifle, but the above might be of interest to your brother. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks Ron,
My brother mentioned that the rifle came from the Trois Rivieres area, which is right on the path of the Arnold's retreat from Quebec in 1776.  My guess is that the Brockton guns might be relics of the War of 1812.  Thanks for the note.

dave

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
I knew a Nils back when I was in Morgan's (the red-headed Upstate NY step-child unit). Clinical chem PhD IIRC? That him? If so, small world.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Hi Dale,
Yep, that's my Bro.  It is a small world.

dave

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Dave, PM sent
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

petera

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:05:20 AM »
Hi Folks,  Peter Alexander here.  I wrote an article in Muzzleoader magazine recently about a Virginia longrifle recovered from the bottom of the St. Lawrence River just off Brockville, Ontario, by a local scuba diver.  It is in an amazing state of preservation.  With it was found a musket and a trade gun.  Thanks to the historical research by the diver, we know exactly where when and why it was sunk.  No, the Canadian government does not own this, or any other of Mike's guns, or thousands of artifacts he has recovered.  He has them still.....

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
Hi Folks,  Peter Alexander here.  I wrote an article in Muzzleoader magazine recently about a Virginia longrifle recovered from the bottom of the St. Lawrence River just off Brockville, Ontario, by a local scuba diver.  It is in an amazing state of preservation.  With it was found a musket and a trade gun.  Thanks to the historical research by the diver, we know exactly where when and why it was sunk.  No, the Canadian government does not own this, or any other of Mike's guns, or thousands of artifacts he has recovered.  He has them still.....
Sounds as if it might be an interesting article. Many non-muzzleloader subscribers may like to order re-prints of that issue. Do you remember the issue?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »
Dennis, That article is in the July/August issue of "Muzzleloader" mag,,,very interesting article....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »
The Ohio River bed may also be/have been, paved with all kinds of rifles, and such if the accounts of the colonists and Indians activities are correct. At least it may have been that way before the dredging began. Sounds like the St. Lawrence is much the same, hopefully without as much disturbance. Any chance for photographs of these finds?
Dick

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »
Dennis, That article is in the July/August issue of "Muzzleloader" mag,,,very interesting article....Ed
Ed,
Thanks will check it out.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »
Peter, good to see you on the forum.