Author Topic: wad and card storage  (Read 6901 times)

navygunner

wad and card storage
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
I'm getting a new 20 gauge and I'm wondering the best way to store wads and cars. The lubed cushion wads i'll keep in a tin but  what should the overpowder & over shot card be kept in. Ideas appreciated as always.

NG

Offline smokinbuck

Re: wad and card storage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
I usually put them into 1# coffee cans, unless I leave them in the box or bag they come in. Nothing to hurt.
Mark
Mark

navygunner

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:25:28 PM »
mark,
  Shirley LOL you don't place coffee cans in your hunting pouch  ;D

NG

VALongrifle

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »
Navy Gunner,

I, too, am getting a new 20GA smoothie for this season.  My plan is to use tins for the wads and another for cards, unless someone has a better suggestion.  I'll carry these in a belt pouch I'll wear on the front, with my bag and horn still on the side.

Interested to see what more experienced folk may add to the discussion.

Semper Fi,
Pat

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »
My apologies for being repetitious, but here goes. The simple solution is to stop carrying cushion wads. I read V. M. Starr a few decades ago ant tried his advice by patterning a 12ga percussion and a 20ga flint, both cylinder bore single barrels. My patterns got better while my loading got simpler. Starr recommended using nothing but thin over shot cards. you use two over the powder, then the shot, and then one over the shot. He also recommended loading both powder and shot with the same measure. That gives you a slight increase in powder with an increase in shot weight.

There's nothing to lose in trying it. You can always go back to buying cushion wads, lubing them, trying to figure out how to carry them, and then keeping thick overpowder cards, cushions, and thin overshot cards all organized in your hunting bag and pockets. You might think that's fun. I didn't.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

navygunner

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
Kermit,
  Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I've read where someone uses two overpowder cards with lube between them. Now I'm sitting with all these @!*% cards LOL.

NG

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »
Brown paper bag paper, cut into squares. Size is such that when folded in half, then in half again, you have a square that just covers the bore of the gun. Soak these [ not yet folded ] in my oil/beeswax mix.  Then I take a thread and needle [ knot in the end ] and run it through a corner of the paper.and you can stack them up.  I hang these threaded squares from my bag strap. Simply pull one off the thread  and fold it then run it down on top of the powder before dumping in the shot. Thin card wad on top, and I'm ready to shoot.
You need to pattern the gun to see if it likes one or two of these under the shot.  I use the same folded square of paper over my shot as well, but my gun happens to like it, so I've eliminated even the thin card wads.  Easy !  :)

VALongrifle

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:37:35 AM »
Interesting options...I'll try patterning my smoothie when I get it next week and see which option it likes best.

Semper Fi,
Pay

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:59 AM »
You need to pattern the gun...

Bob, it astounds me that so many folks will mess with ball size, patch material and thickness, Fg vs FFg vs FFFg, charge by volume, gee-whiz lubes and bore cleaners, etc. Then they'll develop different loads to use at varying ranges with the same sight picture. But they have never patterned their fowling pieces and shotguns.  ???
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

VALongrifle

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 01:22:04 AM »
Kermit   

Not sure of your comment, but I've been patterning my shotguns possibly as long or longer than you've been alive.  This is my FIRST flint smoothrifle, and the discussion was originally by NG about wad and card storage while in the field, and I joined in since I had the same quedtion.  So, if you meant a dig at us for our questions...so be it...

It always amazes me how some folks can twist a discussion...

Semper Fi,
Pat

SuperCracker

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 01:37:29 AM »
I cut and folded a piece of posterboard to divide an altoids tin into two compartments (1/3 & 2/3) and use one side for lubed felt and the other for OSCs.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »
I will point out that I was referring to my 10 bore when discussing the option of the lubed, folded paper wadding.
My 28 bore [ no longer have it  :(  ] preferred the felt wads ..prelubed from Track of the Wolf.  Those felt wads worked well and I used them over powder and shot.  I kept them in a pocket  in my shooting bag that was easily accessible .
You can purchase shooting bags that are specifically designed  for fowling guns [ shotguns] and they have compartments for everything .  The " Leatherman" makes a very nice one.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
Navy,
I've been known to carry a big pouch but the original post talked about storing, not carrying hence the coffee can. Like kermit I do not use wads, just cards, and get better patterns.
Mark
Mark

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
When I Build a Hunting Bag for Fowler or Shotgun use, i put three pockets inside to house the cards and wads.

navygunner

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »
Mark,
  I knew what you meant. I used a poor choice of words in the original post. No harm no foul. Thanks for the reply :)

NG