Author Topic: Frog Lube as a Patch Lube  (Read 4955 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Frog Lube as a Patch Lube
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
Not a new member, I had deleted my old user name a while back and resigned up with my usual user name.

A few days ago I checked out a local store and got a jar of that Frog Lube stuff that looks and smells like bore butter. I figured it would make a decent patch lube test.

It does make a pretty decent patch lube, it does NOT however go down the bore easily, I had to really get a firm hold on my ramrod while seating. I do how ever use a tight patch set up.

100 yards
100gr Goex 2f
.020" patch lubed lightly with frog lube
.570" round ball ( Lyman mould cast)

Shots 1 and 2 were clipping! Shot #3 really had me scratching my head but I figured, what the heck.

Cleaned the bore ( I was cleaning between shots) and took one more which hit in the higher right region of the target. While loading that shot I noticed the frog lube patch had really turned greasy from the heat. After cleaning, I had put the patches in the cool shade and after 20 minutes, the lube seemed back to normal consistency. Huge improvement on where that ball hit! Directly in the group of my first 2 shots.

With the frog lube consistency back to normal, I proceeded to take 2 more shots which had me thrilled.

Its pretty decent as a patch lube, but then again, so is bore butter.

I honestly do not know if I will test it against rust in my bore! This is not a rifle I like to use as a rust test gun PERIOD.

My POI with this lube, has changed greatly. Its shooting high on my normal 100 yard sight set up, rather than at the bottom of the bulls eye where I normally want it to hit.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Frog Lube as a Patch Lube
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
This is good to know because Frog Lube....referred to as frog snot by some of us...has shown up in the BP/Smokeless realm of Cowboy  Action Shooting in both liquid and paste form.  I used it several times as a cleaner with BOTH smokeless and Black and it works well both  as a solution and an after application for protection. 

Revolvers and lever actions have a lot more nooks and crannies than a smoke pole  for rust to gather, but  my guns and locks always emerge clean as a whistle when I haul 'em out for the next match. Being only a flintlock trail walker because I am too  old to trek anymore, I have been considering using it as a patch lube for some time.  I especially like it with a toothbrush  for the lock when I don't take it off the gun at cleaning

Bore Butter has always been too hard or too soft depending on the weather, and you're the first guy to report on Frog Snot when being slammed down the barrel.   I've had both of 'em run in my cylinders in the heat, So my final advice is this...

Use it as a cleaner with a toothbrush and some hot water, especially if you live in a condo and can't stink the place up.  Get some of those air cans of keyboard cleaner and blast away to dry up your lock or whatever, and then put whatever oil or protector you use on.  I wouldn't use it as a patch lube.  If you are going to consider it as an after coat, then keep an eye on your gun for a couple of days right after cleaning.

Hope this helps

The Capgun Kid

D.Boone

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
Hello one and all

I am new to the sight and just purchased a T/C Seneca .45. I just ordered some of this and will give it a try.

D.Boone

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
I found this to be the same product but much cheaper: :o

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E8FF30/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Dancy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:33 AM »
My testing has shown FL to be very good at preventing corrosion, better than most products people commonly use. FL works best if the metal is warmed up. That said, the gun would still need to be very clean before using the FL for storage. And no I don't sell FL or any other lube.