Author Topic: Anspach  (Read 9095 times)

westerner

Anspach
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Found this thread on the ASSRA forum very interesting. Anyone have a Anspach rifle to show?

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1392355624

Joe

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Anspach
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
He made fantastic guns.  Where was he from?  That name rings a bell.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
I am trying to remember him.   If this the corredt Ed Anspach, he had little hair on top
but big, bushy sideburns.... .. does that describe him?   If that describes him, over the
years he bought some barrels from me, mostly at Friendship.........Don

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »
Thanks, Joe. I'd missed that one.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

westerner

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
 I think I have a picture of Ed Anspach here some place that was taken in 1964 at Friendship.

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:48:14 AM »
Very talented man. Sad but we will all end up on the memory list so lets strive to make it on the good memory list.  ;D

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:16 AM »
Ed was in the top 10 of my favorite people, ever.   Always a smile and ready to help.  A  good friend of mine grew up with him in Ada and has a pair of brass barreled pistols that he made. He enjoyed "odd" things. Some weird single shot that no one had ever seen before would draw him like a magnet.  He made the best bullet molds I have ever seen. He kept baby food jars of crud that he scraped out of actions and barrel channels to be used for future restorations.  Sadly his shop burned and he passed away before he ever really got back to "work".  Shows are just not the same without him.  Jack

John

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Ed was my lifelong friend. His workshop was longrifle center for many years. He would let anyone who was sincerely interested use his bench and tools and provide instruction. All you had to do was be able to stand the "constructive criticism" of the spectators. I made at least 10 rifles in that shop. Many made their first rifle there. Ed's production was well over 80 guns. The pistols I have are numbers 82 and 83. If you were interested in antique guns, history, science and philosophy, there wasn't a better place. He was unique in the best sense of  the word. I miss him.
John

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:58:26 AM »
Some time in the  last year or so there was a 2 page tribute in (I believe) the newsletter of the contemporary makers association. It included pictures of some of his guns. I don't subscribe so I can't get closer than that. Don, you are thinking of the right man. Jack

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 02:07:56 AM »
Where was he from?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 02:26:20 AM »
Ed Anspach was from Ada,Ohio.

Bob Roller

Vhntr1

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:19 AM »
This made me go back in my memory bank abit. I remember him ,he came out to shoot at the Black swamp muzzleloaders that was located north of Findlay,oh I was only in my teens at that time.

OBXEJC

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 05:50:21 AM »
I was researching a flintlock I just purchased and came across this thread. I think I have rifle number 40. Here are the pics. Can anyone put a value on this flintlock?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Whatever YOU paid for it was its actual worth to you.The willing buyer and the willing seller
is the gauge of every transaction regardless of the commodity.

Bob Roller