Author Topic: Cleaning jag  (Read 4750 times)

Lutes

Cleaning jag
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:42:25 AM »
This may seem like an odd question from someone who shot ML for a long time. But what is the correct size of cleaning jag. Other words how much smaller should the jag be in relationship to the bore dia?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Cleaning jag
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »
That can vary somewhat with what cleaning your doing. Cleaning between shots at the range I would use a smaller jag than the one I would use to cleanup at the end of the days shooting. MHO

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
For me, the correct size of the jag is one that will allow 2 thicknesses of flannelette (BABY DIAPER MATERIAL) for cleaning the bore well.  I use a double thickness as it cleans better than a single thickness, especially in deeply grooved barrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
The optimum diameter of your cleaning jag will depend upon the thickness of your cleaning patch material.
Try to use a consistent supply of cleaning material. If you're always swapping around from thick-to-thin depending upon what's handy/cheap/available (like most of us do)...you'll most likely never have the BEST combination.
Don't be afraid to "chuck up" your cleaning jag in a drill and take it's diameter down a few thousandth's with emery cloth. It's been my observation that most people use a cleaning jag that's too big which just pushes fouling down the bbl. to clog the breech face.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »

Don't be afraid to "chuck up" your cleaning jag in a drill and take it's diameter down a few thousandth's with emery cloth. It's been my observation that most people use a cleaning jag that's too big which just pushes fouling down the bbl. to clog the breech face.

exactly!!  Re don's other point, about the material - I buy it by the yard - always consistent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
This may seem like an odd question from someone who shot ML for a long time. But what is the correct size of cleaning jag. Other words how much smaller should the jag be in relationship to the bore dia?
I use the same jag for swabing between shots as I do for cleaning the only difference is I use different thickness of material - thinner for swabing between shots and thicker for final cleaning.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »
I measured some of my jags I made for a .36 caliber Green Mountain barrel and two .45 caliber barrels one being a Green Mountain and the other being a Orion barrel and they measured 0.313" for the .36, 0.404" and 0.427" for the .45's. You also have to figure in the depth of the rings (grooves) in the jag depending on the thickness of the cloth being used.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb