Author Topic: 36 Cal squirrel rifle script signed A * M  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
36 Cal squirrel rifle script signed A * M
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
Family says great grandpa's rifle.  He was from Somerset Cty PA.  Has the look of a western
PA Armstrong Cty rifle which is where they live now.  Fullstock in nice original condition.
Any ideas on maker?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:30:33 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: 36 Cal squirrel rifle script signed A * M
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
The man who brought this rifle for me to see just sent me a photo of the hunting pouch,
bullet mold, horn, shot pout and powder flask that went with it.  I will post the bag on
here, it's nice.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:34:06 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »
Abraham Magahan (1816-) Marklesburg, Huntingdon Co., PA.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:13:38 AM by Mark Tyler »

Offline Mark Tyler

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »
Mark. That rifle is its identical twin brother right down to the muzzle stamps. Owners great grandpa was from somerset. He will be thrilled. Many thanks. The lock is by the same R B maker.

klb67

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
Mark - I'm glad you posted those.  I saw the gun and thought, that looks like a Huntingdon gun to me.  But I'm just learning, and it is nice to see I can get one right every now and then.  Was his shop right in Marklesburg, do you know?  I grew up near there and used to ride my bike to Scott's Sporting Goods in the summer. 

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 03:34:07 AM »
His house and shop was right in Marklesburg (Raystown Road / Route 26). He owned one of the original homes in Marklesburg. I am told the log gunshop still stands. I'll try to get some photos.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »