Author Topic: Lott marked 60 cal smooth Trade gun from the 70's  (Read 9364 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Lott marked 60 cal smooth Trade gun from the 70's
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
Just got this ol trade gun from a dear friend.I know he got it in late?70's.What is the story,and what might it be worth?Thanks,Dave F

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Lott marked 60 cal smooth Trade gun from the 70's
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Does the lock work? Most of those didn't.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
lock works ok.Owner has a piece of metel wedged in the mainspring.How about an extra overload spring from yer ol truck?That shoud be heavy 'nuff.hahah

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
 Looks like an old Northstar, or possibly a Green River Forge, gun to me. The Lott lock went through many different manufacturers over the years. As far as I know they were always made in Italy, but by several different companies over the years. They almost always had a weak mainspring. This can usually be remedied by heating and retempering. The frizzen is another issue. They are almost always cast mild steel, that is case hardened. Once you wear through the case, its over, until you either reharden it or half sole it. The geometry in these locks can run the gamut from pretty good, to horrible.
 After all this bad news, I have to say I own four of these locks, and have become pretty good at making them perform.
 Green River Forge regularly made new mainsprings when they used these locks, so if it has the old spring in it it is most likely one of Curly's.

Hungry Horse

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Hungry,
I have a Curly North Star trade gun that I bought in the early 80's that does not have a Lott lock. I think Curly was making his own? When did he use the Lott lock?
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:45:23 AM »
 The earliest Northstar gun I have ever seen was made with a Lott lock, a Numrich arms 41" 12 ga. barrel, and a birch stock that was a reworked civil war stock from Dixie gun works. The truth is, never say never, when discussing what Curly would, or would not, use. He standardized after a while, but the early trade guns he made could be made from anything.I got barrels from him in the seventies, and eighties, that could very 20 thousandths in the bore diameter.
  Early on The Lott lock was the only trade gun sized lock available. several builders used them as a base to build on, when building trade guns.

Hungry Horse

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.Any idea what this could be worth today?Thanks,Dave

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:29:33 AM »
 You'd have to be able to vary who made the gun first. Curly made guns, with Lott locks, long before he made his own locks (which were only marginally better IMO). But, he made his own dragons earlier, and the dragon on that gun is not one of Curly's. That thick dragon was available from Dixie, and Track, among others. My old Northstar trade gun has the thin dragon, and no barrel proofs, so I would guess it probably isn't a Northstar.

Hungry Horse

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »
Thanks Horse,the top barrel marking is a circle fox,side marks are crossed swords with a crown top center,other markings show up.I dont know for a fact,but it could have been a kit gun.There are 2-3 pouches that he had with the gun,one w/horn for powder and a compartment in butt of horn for shot,a small pouch for ball charges,maybe another pouch for wads.I have specs and a few other pics.Thinking about a package deal.Thanks,Dave

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
Didn't sell, reserve not met.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:39 AM »
relisted,dropped ptice.Thanks

Rich,do you think I should drop it on gbr,and post it here?I would like it to have a good home,I have to start thinning out my collection,too.Thanks,Dave
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:05:19 AM by mountainman70 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:15 AM »
Gunbroker gets a lot of traffic.  I don't think it's a good policy to comment on something to be sold here, so will send you a PM.
Andover, Vermont