Author Topic: Manton Marked Pair of Back Action Locks  (Read 4523 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Manton Marked Pair of Back Action Locks
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
I am not studied at all on percussion. What can be told from these?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Manton Marked Pair of Back Action Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »
That James Rogers, like me, loves old stuff ;D

Looks like someone saved a nice pair of back action locks from a Manton double barrel.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »
Here are a couple of Mantons that I own.  The 1st is marked Manton like your locks, but has a pheasant motif indicating it's an upland game gun.  The 2nd is marked J. Manton and has engraving similar to yours.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
I don't think these locks are even English.Probably Belgian spin offs on a famous name.
Bob Roller

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
Hi James,
I suspect that Bob is right.  Real Manton's by the elder John and Joe, and any of their sons or relatives were usually signed with a first initial and then the name "Manton", or no initial and  "Manton & Son", or "Manton & Co.", including the Mantons working in India. 

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »
Thanks guys. That was my assumption. I am most curious as to the approximate date. Wondering if these are a little later than the style dictates.
Nice to see them as a pair and working though.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Actually, both of the guns I pictured have London proofs, and both are marked London Fine Twist on the ribs and one is serial numbered 644 on the under rib.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson