Author Topic: Pedersoli out of box problem  (Read 8542 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Pedersoli out of box problem
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:17:33 AM »
Anubody know what kind of lock is on the Pedersoli Jager Hunter? 

Today mine came via UPS and, upon opening the box, I found that the frizzen was broken clean off at the juncture with the tail.  Amazing, but I am not sure these guys, or the Anacortes Vendor, can easily get one from the way they sounded so befuddled and the "snapping-into-action" pace of their reply.

First impressions of this piece, by the by, are otherwise good.  That don't cut it, though, and I'd like to get a handle on spare parts anyway.

Thanks and,

Don't shoot yore eye out,
The Capgun Kid

Offline T*O*F

Re: Pedersoli out of box problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »
It has a Pedersoli lock on it.  All spare parts are high dollar units and only available from one importer in the US and he would probably have to special order anything.  Dick Trenk used to be the Ped. rep here, but he passed away and I don't know if anyone/who replaced him.  Yer probably up the crik fer a spell.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:03:07 AM »
That just blows big chunks.  But then, "shipping" happens.  ;D  We know you were all fired up to get smoke floating in the air.

Methinks your best bet is finding a TIG welder buddy/bro who'll stick it back together (assuming you have both pieces).  Most folks will need to charge a minimum as a matter of sound business practice...but a retired guy or amateur/student or pal might not.

Welding (local) might surely be faster than chasing the chain of command and shipping things around. 

Sounds like it broke on the transition between hard and tempered...or there was no transition.  Only the face needs to be hard. 
Hold to the Wind

Online Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
Pull up daviedepedersoli.com and click on distributors. This shows contacts for the US as well as Canada. As previously stated spare parts for his locks are expensive. 

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
VTIGunparts.com has some Pedersoli parts listed.  Don't know about the Jager.  Might give them a call.   Another fellow emailed their factory in Italy looking for a US distributor, and they sent him the part from the factory.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:09:41 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
 I would just go ahead and buy a spare lock, who knows what part might break next on it. It would be tough to have it out shooting and the mainspring snaps in half.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:19:10 AM »
Greg. The Dixie Gun Works Jaeger rifle is made by Pedersoli. They're probably the same rifle. Dixie has parts parts. Frizzen is part no. FP6314 for $24.95.  The whole lock is #LM1204 for $245.95.  Good luck.  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?osCsid=k6uu8hlqalmto8itshd8t6mfl5 
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3452
www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Jaeger+Rifle&x=0&y=0

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:05 AM »
Will the dealer you received it from make it right? should have been insured. although that means nothing USPS charges $50.00 plus dollars to insure and then won't pay if it gets broken.

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
Thanks Nate, and you other folks for your time and thoughts.

I ordered the part from Dixie and stopped the payment for the rifle itself until I hear from either Anacortes or Pedersoli.

That'll usually wake 'em up.

When I do hear from them, I will offer the choice of exchanging the gun or  having them credit my account for the spare from Dixie

How bad is the parts problem in the muzzleloading world in general?  Over in Cowboy Action Shooting, we are all beset by hoarding and reloading component shortage  problems to the point where some of us have stopped coming to matches.

Is it the Feds here or our own circumstances

Thanks again to all of you

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid
The Capgun KId

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
How bad is the parts problem in the muzzleloading world in general?  ...

i'm of the parts/pieces and puttem all together group.   Haven't owned a mass-production M/L in a very long time, so can't begin to answer such an inquiry.  If i have a problem (haven't) i can call the guy i bought the thing from or the guy that made it.  UPS has never )knock maple( been a problem.

Hope it all works out for you. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:32:48 AM »
Go to my friend Richard Beauchamp at: http://www.flintlocksetc.com/
Flintlocks,Etc. They are the biggest Pedersoli parts distributor.  (413) 698-3822

He used to be along side me at Friendship on Commercial Row. Former Manager at Navy Arms.

The traditional muzzle loading business is in decline, owing to the market is made up of 50 year olds to 80 year olds.

The economy, the crash of '08, and the job situation all have a bearing of the future of muzzle loading.

The NMLRA's "high water mark" was in 1987 with 27,000+ members. Now, we're at about 16,000.

Even CAS is suffering from the factors mentioned above.

I looked on Thompson Center's website, and I could not find their "Hawken" Rifle. All their traditional models are gone.

Hope this helps,
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Thanks.

You're right, although it's tragic to see.

Anyway, I sent the photo right to Pedersoli and had a new frizzen within a week.  The other vendor who sold me the gun also agreed to apply a credit for the second frizzen I bought from Dixie, so I released the charge on my credit card.

I'll keep your friend's number.

The Capgun Kid

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »
The NMLRA's "high water mark" was in 1987 with 27,000+ members. Now, we're at about 16,000.
What happens at Friendship has no impact on my business what so ever. In fact if they closed it down tomorrow I wouldn't notice.
 Not that I didn't have a bunch of fun there for more than 20 years. ;D
 Business isn't what it used to be, mainly because nobody has any money any more due to "non existant" inflation.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

JoeG

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:13:04 AM »
There is the ' Graying of muzzle loading " But NMLRA has done a lot to reduce its Western membership, the big rendezvous break up and their law suit of the RMNR members involved didn't win them any friends in the Rocky Mountains

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
Mike and Joe might be more correct than they know.  The fact is that we, who pretty much started living history during the fifties, sixties and seventies, have little coming behind us that is not virtual, cloud, acronyms such as OMG, and a public school system that can't discriminate between presidents and is not allowed to teach the fundamentals of our society, such as family, God, responsibility and so on.

On the other hand, Go take a look at Mike's website and websites like it, poke around Track or Pecatonica, and "go online" to items like this forum.  Those of us who are left have a richer experience because of each other.  I passed up opportunities to go to The Eastern , the North Eastern and Something calling themselves "The Original" because of some pointless clash that started years ago because I did not need them and am too old to suffer through setting up and taking down or driving to the point where the Bluegrass Channel on XM puts me to sleep rather than entertains me. This entire thread is because I started something I would not have dreamed of or had the capacity to do in the 70's and 80's...cobble a customized rifle out of a factory gun because I could not afford one of Mike's or Nate's or Dangler's firearms.

I have had a boat load of fun with that project, part of which is due to one sentence from Mike that re-directed me from investigating a Jaeger and pushed me more toward transitional, and Nate McKenzie plugged me into parts sources so I did not stay up the creek with the original topic of this thread.  So I learned a lot.  From the first day I picked up a Zouave from Dixie in 1968(?) up to this sentence everything I have been through has been due to the people I have met.

I can go see Nate, have no idea where the deuce Mike is, and have something to do every morning at five over coffee because Al Gore "invented"the net.  Not bad. 

The value of this is in its people.  The fifteen years I was more or less away from the 18th century I also thrived in Cowboy Action, and I learned several years ago that there can be more re-enactors at Gettysburg than actually fought there

SO, we ain't dead yet, but I guess we can see it from here.

Thanks, and,

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid
Greg Geiger
The Capgun Kid
The Still River Cordwaiiner

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:36 AM »
I will agree with Mike on the business end stabilizing for high end beautiful firearms like he crafts. I have talked to other artists like Mike , and the Recession of '08 hasn't affected them as badly. Folks who are "swimming in money" are likely to invest in a down market. Whereas, folks more affected by the crash because they lost their job, or their medical plan canceled due to Obamacare, or anticipating possible job cuts are contributing to the slowdown in lower-end sales.

Traveling to gun shows that use to net me $8,000 to $12,000, now are fetching $900 to $2,000. Fellows that used to have no problem plunking down $1,200 for a nice basic TVM rifle are now trying to figure out how to make ends meet because their job is moving to Mexico or overseas.

Its possible that the economy may take till 2018 to recover fully. We might follow Japan through a "lost decade" before we see recovery. I have an easier time moving a Bob Loveless knife at $7,000 than I do a Randall knife at $450.00. Those that didn't lose money or "their shirt in '08" will continue to spend wisely, and those that lost their job or had hours/benefits/pension cuts are walking around gun shows with their hands in their pockets or want to trade their $2,500 Ar-15 they bought in the panic buy in March of 2013 and seeing the same gun selling now for $900.

A friend of mine in the gun club, remarked that he was shocked to hear from his circle of friends in the building trades that were either out of work or facing reduced job hours and/or benefits cuts.

2018 is still about three years away. Long time to wait to get back to normal. Meanwhile..........
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina