Author Topic: My Hatfield  (Read 5731 times)

D.Boone

My Hatfield
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
I have a cap lock long rifle Hatfield in .50 cal. Does anyone have any experience with these in regards to accuracy. TIA   

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: My Hatfield
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:12 PM »
Never had a Hatfield but several friends have them. their Hatfields shot well for a production rifle.

Offline JW

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
I had a flintlock in .45, but a Pedersoli (who bought the design from Hatfield.)  It was identical to the only other Hatfield I've seen in person, but for the barrel stamps.  It was very accurate.  The only complaint I had was the patent breach. Although it doesn't affect accuracy, it can affect ignition unless you take care to swab the chamber with an undersize brush/jag.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
I have a Hatfield nicely figured stock and Hatfield-stamped barrel with a patent breech.  I totally rebuilt this rifle with a proper lock and hardware.  It is flint with a white lightning vent liner drilled to the base of the bore of the patent breech.  I've only used it a few times but it seemed alright to me.  I worry about fouling in the patent breech but so far have not had problems with it.  I generally shoot my Isaac Haines though and will probably put this rebuilt Hatfield up for sale on our site.
Curt

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
I put together a flinter w Renegade stock, GM drop in barrel and L&R lock. No problems w the patten breech. Shot 60 + shots one day. If I ever remove the breech I'll ream the flash channel and patten recess a little just because I want too but won't go to the trouble unless something else comes up.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »
I was a Hatfield dealer for about ten years when they were still operating out St Joseph's MO.

When the orders got piling up, and Ted couldn't get guaranteed deliveries on barrels and locks, he went to
Pedersoli for everything except the wood. Ironically enough, Hatfield's brochure was titled, "Uniquely American". ???

We tried switching barrels one time, and that's when I saw the Italian proof marks on the bottom flat.
I called Oz at Log Cabin Sport Shop to tell him about our find. A number of barrels had the proof marks & name filed off. ::)

If one is going to remove the breechplug, one must first remove the vent liner, otherwise you will shear off  half of the vent liner. Don't ask me how I know that. :'(

I always thought the lock size was out of proportion to size of the stock. Fouling will continue to build in the ante chamber of the breech, so one must use a .22 caliber bore brush to clean out the carbon. Since the Blue Ridge Hunter by Pedersoli is the "Italian Hatfield", it will have the same difficulties as Ted's Hatfield.

When Jack Garner began offering his TVM rifle models, we switched horses in the early '90's (?) and never looked back. When Matt Avance took over TVM, the rifles continued to exude the All-American" quality that started with Jack. When I saw Matt at Fort Fred, I'd come away with at least a half-dozen pieces.

Good luck with what you have. Just keep a .22 cal brush handy to put on your range rod every 10-15 shots.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »
I had a Hatfield 50 caliber flinter I used for years to hunt and compete with. It had many teething problems that left it incapacitated frequently. For example, the pipes being held on by screws that threaded into the barrel gave me some problems and had to be replaced. Also, I had to replaced the main spring and sear spring a few times. The main spring was odd shaped and hard to find after the company in St Joe's closed.

Accuracy was very good and consistent out to 50 yards with its Pedersoli barrel, I saw the marks stamped under the barrel, and I was pleased with its accuracy and consistency at that short of a range. As a hunting weapon I did really well with it and I grew quite fond of it.

It was a beautiful rifle, for its time, comparing it to the fare that was being offered by others, but if used hard it won't hold up.  Would I buy another, no.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:53:29 PM by crawdad »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Oh, in that pic under my name, I don't know what its call, but I'm holding my Hatfield. that pic was taken about twenty years ago.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:17:50 PM by crawdad »