Author Topic: I seem to remember???  (Read 4619 times)

oldarcher

I seem to remember???
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:20:37 AM »
I am considering purchasing a ML Hawken style rifle for my Grandson for Christmas. He is a grown man, over 6' -220# so I need a full size rifle. I seem to remember that CVA in the early years used some Sharon barrels in their Mountain Rifles, if anyone knows if this is correct or not how were they marked? Did they have a heart stamped on the barrel?
Thanks for your help.

Offline T*O*F

Re: I seem to remember???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
CVA used Douglas barrels in their early guns.  Don't know anything about them using Sharon barrels.
They had no special markings that I recall.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »
I have a Numrich Arms "minuteman" longrifle in .45 that has a heart stamped on the left off flat, at the breech. But I don't think it is a Sharon, or a Douglas, barrel. The rifleings are too shallow, and don't look like they are the same configuration.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
The old GRRW Hawken guns had Sharon barrels. Or at least the few I have seen did.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
I don't know what kind of barrels they had, but the early CVA mountain rifles were accurate.  We regularly got beat by a club member with one.
Brice Stultz

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »
 I would say most of the guns built in Connecticut were accurate. Now the lock quality was another issue. I had one of the later mt. rifles made in Conn., that shot better than I did.
 A friend had his custom gun break down a week before the Tall Trees Rendezvous. He bought a .58 cal. big bore mt. rifle, sighted it in, and went up there and won the shoot. That shoot often has 300 shooters, and a lot of guys with custom guns. So, I'd say they shoot pretty good.

Hungry Horse

oldarcher

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
Mike, The first GRRW rifles did not have Sharon barrels, they used some Douglas and a few others but I seem to remember that Sharon was slightly later. I have rifles with Sharon and GRRW barrels as well as GR Douglas and all shoot very well, with the very slight edge to GRRW. (The first barrels GRRW used were Douglas, pretty good quality but couldn't get enough of them fast enough to keep up with orders. It was obvious we were going to have to establish our own barrel shop after the first year of operation.) Copied from Doc White's website.
I am looking for an inexpensive 1/2 stock as I really don't know if my Grandson will have a continuing interest in BP shooting. TC is OK but I really have always liked the CVA. In the early 70's my first rifle was a TC Hawken and I soon moved to a CVA and liked shooting it better. I then took a huge step up and purchased a new GRRW Leman and never looked back. My oldest son still shoots that Leman.
Thank you for your reply's, I appreciate your input.