Author Topic: Macungie stone??  (Read 4902 times)

Offline EC121

Macungie stone??
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »
A question occurred to me while I was reading about the Jacob Kuntz rifle in Hansen's longrifle book.  He mentions that Macungie stone was used in some of the inlays on that rifle.  He says it is a stone quarried near Allentown, Pa.  I found Macungie, Pa. mentioned in Google, but no stone of that type.  Does anyone know what type of stone it is?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:09:09 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Macungie stone??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
       There are some very good photos of the rifle in Dave Hanson's book The Evolution of the American Longrifle.   I have seen the Wender (double flint rifle) in person and the stone appears to be a rather dark gray to green color, although I did not examine it that close.  It does not appear to be facet cut, but rather smooth.
       Just south of Allentown very near the village of Vera Cruz is a site where the Indians quarried Jasper for making arrowheads etc.   Most of the material that I have seen from the site tends to be a reddish brown, but I have seen a few darker grey/green shaded pieces from that area.  Perhaps the stone is a piece of Jasper.  There are others on the site that may have knowledge of exactly what kind of stone was used in the Jewel Kuntz rifle. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »
I was going to offer the thought that it was along the lines of onyx. I had an Easton rifle that had the patchbox piercings inlaid with the same stone.
Buck

Offline spgordon

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
If they mean a type of stone that Macungie was known for--it's probably jasper (as Lucky says).

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_Science_Monthly/Volume_43/September_1893/Prehistoric_Jasper_Mines_in_the_Lehigh_Hills

There is a nice display of jasper arrowheads at the Lower Milford Township Historical Society.

Scott
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
It looks awfully dark for any Jasper, but the evidence seems to point to it being so.  Kuntz also used bone, horn, mother of pearl, ivory, ebony, and glass for inlays.  The cheek inlay on the Kuntz rifle in the Metropolitan Museum is glass or clear agate with some kind of exotic wood veneer or stone underneath - on close up examination neither Tom nor I could figure out what it was.  For scale, the oval is about 3/4" long.  Any guesses?  
-Eric

Photo taken by Tom Curran, Permission to share publicly granted courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum in NYC.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:03:31 PM by EvonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Buck

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »
Definitely glass, looks like wood underneath.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
I figured it was some semiprecious stone from the Macungie area, but all I got on the search was jewelery stores in Macungie, PA.   We would have to know when that type of stone was named "jasper".   More than likely all the locals back then knew it by was "that shiny stone they mine over at Macungie".
    My vote is for glass because of the way it broke. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Buck

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
Biotite Mica otherwise known as Eastonite? It's indigenous to Pennsylvania. Look up precious stones indigenous to PA.
Buck
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:16:47 AM by Buck »

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:40 AM »
Just to clarify - the photo I posted is NOT in reference to Macungie stone - it is something entirely different from the rifle at the Met museum.  The surface piece on that inlay is likely glass, with the piece underneath being the mystery.  Didn't mean to hijack the Macungie stone thread - just another one of Kuntz's oddities. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Buck

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:35 AM »
Do you have any more pictures of the Kuntz rifle?