Author Topic: Need info on a rifle type  (Read 4597 times)

Saddlebag Preacher

Need info on a rifle type
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:23:06 AM »
I am new to the forum, so I may not be asking in the right spot. I need some help from some of you experts.

I have been shooting BP for several years hunting and Cowboy reenactments. I also own a 1970's CVA Mountain Rifle in flintlock, so I know the basics. Recently I finally discovered and traced my GGGG-Grandfather to Pittsylvania County Va and he volunteered in 1777 to fight indians siding with the British on the Holston River. After he was mustered out, 4 four years later in Amherst Co, Va he was hauling Mill iron when he and his wagon was pressed into service by Gen Wayne. He was sent with the army to Williamsburg and Richmond, hauling supplies and baggage.

He was born in Easttown, Pa. and before the war, helped a Herman Cook lead German and Dutch settlers to southern Va. This being said, and maybe boring some of you, I would like to know what type of rifle or longarm he would likely be carrying. I want to invest in a good one, and researching builders show a price ranging from $1700.00 up to several thousands. I will shoot this gun and may look to join a period group to shoot with. I have become totally engrossed in my heritage with this period and if I am going to spend a lot of money for a once in a lifetime rifle, I want it to be correct to what my grandfather may have carried. Thanks for any help.

Offline PPatch

Re: Need info on a rifle type
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:19:53 AM »
It would be of course difficult to pinpoint the style your grandfather actually owned and used, but then again the good news is you have a wide geographical area to pick from such as the states of PA and VA, for longrifles from the early to mid 1700s. Your grandfather lived in the Golden Age of longrifles btw, and some of the finest makers were active during that period. A man would own a fowler or a rifled gun according to his needs and within his means. Perhaps plainly stocked or fancy stocked and decorated. Don't overlook pistols, a freight hauler might have had one or two tucked into his waist.

Take a look at our Virtual Library at the PA and VA rifles. Note that there were many different styles of guns produced within states too.

Welcome to the ALR forum! Enjoy your research.

dp
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:29:07 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Saddlebag Preacher

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »
Thank you so much. It has opened a new world to me to explore.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
You are most welcome. Looking at a map I see that Easttown, Pa. is not far east of some of the well known colonel long rifle makers. The towns of Allentown, Reading and Lancaster jump out, and those are the homes of specific "schools" or styles within colonel gun making too. Note also that the city of Philadelphia was active in the gun trade too and was a center for imported guns and gun parts such as locks, those originating mostly from London or Birmingham, England. Your ancestor had a *wide* choice of colonel era firearms to choose from, his birthplace was located in the center of it all.

dp
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:51:18 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
......could have even carried a smoothbore.......may not be a rifle that he toted. The options are many.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:34:17 PM »
    Lots of options!  A John Phillip Beck (Lebanon county) is a very nice shootable rifle. He was probably a new builder by 1777. Bucks county are very nice also. Like I said, lots of great options! Good luck.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:45:14 AM »
Welcome Sandbag to the fourm. Your ancestor might have lived in the county you mentioned but that does not mean he owned a gun made there. It also does not mean he bought a new one. Having said that, he could have owned other guns also. There are so many if's ands or buts here like did he buy one at a trading post on the frontier, in a store of some sort in another area, or even from a gunsmith. New or used.  Good luck on your search and journey and again, welcome.  :)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
Given his location in VA he could easily have carried a VA rifle as well. Something like the "Haymaker" rifle would be a good choice. Its pre-Revolution in 45-50 caliber it would be ideal. Many people were arming themselves at the time and he could easily have had upgraded any firearm he might have had either before the move or after.
There are many options. But you need to choose carefully so that you end up with a 1770+- rifle and not something from 1790.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine