Author Topic: Longrifle by the late "Cotton" Volrath  (Read 10634 times)

Online Majorjoel

Longrifle by the late "Cotton" Volrath
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
   Once in a while I run across a longrifle that has something special, that is out of the ordinary by most standards of my expectations. This long barreled, dainty weight, 40 caliber, southern belle has me smitten once again. Normally I have always been drawn to the Pennsylvania styles of rifles, with their brass and engraved sparkles. This time it's different. Something here has found a soft spot in my primitive undercoating. Perhaps it is the way this rifle effortlessly draws up to my shoulder and my eye gazes across that vast flat top through sights that are clouds apart. Almost literally touching out to that target. I pray that my coarse has not once again been changed over to another aspect of this dreadful dark sided addiction....... This is the part where I always seem to wake up! Oh, pictures. Rifle built by the late Harold Loyd "Cotton" Volrath who once hailed from Michigan's Upper Peninsula and a small town of Brimley close to the Soo. He was a very good man and a very good gunsmith. I find a great pride to own a piece of his work.                 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:44:01 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Online Majorjoel

Re: Longrifle by the late "Cotton" Volrath
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:46:22 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Online Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:49:05 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
THAT is one fine looking rifle.The butt plate is a work of art as is the trigger guard.
the whole thing has a strong appeal to me.

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
A very sleek and slender looking piece of unique americana.  Great find.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »
Too Bad old cotton is no longer with us, he was a good friend.  Gun looks like one he
would have built.   It might even have one of my barrels on it.  Cotton was also the
"grand poo-ba" of the Beaver Lodge.  If you ever see someone with a necklace, complete with a silver beaver, you will know he is a member of this primitive lodge.
Usually had several meetings down at Ft. Frederick..........Don

Online Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
Yes Don, it has one of your 48" barrels. ;)
Joel Hall

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
Long and slender.......just like falling for a tall, leggy blonde.  Nice find Joel.  Just where do you find these?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:30:27 AM by Bill-52 »

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
Cotton was one of the "legends" of muzzleloading & rondyvoo. I can't say anything bad about the man or his old bus. However, I'm not very fond of his old gun. I would say this gun is not much to look at. He did a nice job with what he had to work with. However, it looks like he used any piece of material he could find for all the parts except for a reshaped Siler lock & barrel.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »
I love the patchbox and butt plate which looks like horn. Different, sure isn't a cookie cutter rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
Cotton was a dear old friend! We belonged to two different primitive clubs together here in Michigan. I really liked the skinny lightweight .32 cal. rifles  he built up using native MI copper for the furniture! He loved the fact that he was a Yooper and made his own style of po-boy rifle like no others. His old Northwoods Trading Post at Brimley was like a true step back in time! It made a lasting  impression on me when I was a young man of 30.
He could also spin yarns like no other!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:45:04 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Mountainman69

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:53:48 AM »
Tom C.... I totally agree with you... I met Cotton and wife Bee many years ago. Been to many shoots in Mi and they came to Ontario to our shoots.... Great people...  I always loved the work Cotton did and was blown away by being in his "store" about 35 years ago.....

Mountainman

trapperjmb

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Yes, Cotton was a dear old friend and we have been to many camps together.
He and his dear wife were always at the large rendezvous with their camp store.
"Cottons Northwood's Post"
I always looked forward to receive the invite to the Snow Snake shoot.
A piece of birchbark with just the words "Big doins in Brimley" & the date
Us Trolls would load up the trucks with bedrolls and vitchels and head to Cotton and Bea's fort on the banks of Brimley Bay.
Bea would vacate the place for the weekend and we would spread out where ever we could find a place.
We would venture down on the ice and snow (four feet deep) on Brimley Bay.
Shoot for a pick from probably the best prize blanket in the state.
Good food, fried fish, a drink or so and poker at night.
Good times for sure.
I talked to Bea this afternoon and relayed the content of this thread to her as she doesn't have internet access.
Cotton wouldn't allow it.
She was touched by all the kind words and memories.
My Cotton rifle rests in the vault as I write this post.
Sorry for the long post it brought back many happy memories.
Trapper John

Maverick3855

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
I would love to find one of Cotton's old rifles or his oak stocked trade gun. He was a good friend and a good man and a great story teller. He had some great ones. :) Cotton and Bea were both good friends.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
  Many years ago Cotton would come down to the Reed City rendezvous.  It was a spring and fall shoot. Put on by Dusty and Pete Galloupe (sp) . Shinning times it was. There was usually 15 to 20 of us Rascals showed up for the three days.
   Always wanted one of Cottons rifles but that Soddy style of Dupreys won me over. Right now I know where one of each are at and the piggy bank is empty because of the holidays.
  Cotton always built his guns his way. It was just the type of guy Cotton was. That kind of person you just have to admire. Miss him and all the others that use to get together.....Oldtravler  aka pilgrim to Cotton.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Never met Mr. "Cotton" Volrath, but he sounds like the type of person I'd enjoy spending time with.

That is a lovely simple firearm, and you keep it in fine shape.

You have a very poetic way of writing - enjoyed reading your work.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Lobo

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 04:37:00 AM »
I just saw this thread and knew I had to post. Notice how many say, "Cotton was a dear friend" to know him was to love him, he was a unique individual. Cotton and Bee use to come to the big rendezvous and shows here in downstate Michigan. I've stayed  at their house in Brimley and spent some happy hours in his shop.

I got a letter from Bee a few years ago after Cotton died but haven't heard from her in a long time

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 07:10:26 AM »
Although not made by Cotton, this rifle also has one of Don's 48" bls.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline kudu

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »
this would be the Man

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
  Thanks kudo for the pic.  Brings back great memories of a very special man.!   Much appreciated ..  Oldtravler