Author Topic: Commonly used powder charges for RB by cal/bore [not "max" ]  (Read 12503 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Commonly used powder charges for RB by cal/bore [not "max" ]
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 03:42:06 AM »
I have too, zimm- but I wanted to believe in something he wrote about. I do not think not believe that the small balls obturate at all or noticably, however those with enough mass, might. I am reminded of my .58 Musketoon,  ith the progressive depth rifling. The rifling is .008" deeper (.004" per side) than the patched ball is in diameter, yet the fired patches are re-usuable. Same with my choked smoothbore with about .005" per side slop in the tube, yet the patches are not burnt at all.  On the other hand, if I do not shoot loads with compression in the bottom of the grooves in my small calibre rifles, the patches burn or scorch badly depending on how 'loosly' I load them.

right on - obdurate as used by Sam - he's incorrect again - oh well.
"not to be pursuaded"  Hardheaded or Obstinate - oops - sounds like me. That's out of Colin's paperback dictionary.

I tried to look it up online but got lost in the flood of urls with hidden download 'extras'- so didn't go through with that.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V