Author Topic: Commonly used powder charges for RB by cal/bore [not "max" ]  (Read 12501 times)

Online bob in the woods

Commonly used powder charges for RB by cal/bore [not "max" ]
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:50:24 AM »
 It has come up from time to time before, but I thought I'd post the following per my experience with my hunting guns.
At the top, is my 10 bore, which I will load with 140 gr FFg and a RB   for moose or bear hunting . From 100 gr FFg to 140 seems to be the best accuracy, but the heavier charge does have a flatter trajectory . Above 140 gr, accuracy dropped off.
Could have to do with the recoil too  ;D  [  Chambers N.E. fowling gun ]

My .62 does best with 100 to 120 gr.  I tried 130 but the velocity increase was minimal [  Chambers Edward Marshall 37 in barrel]      

>54 flintlock , 42 in barrel,  80 gr FFg t5o 100 gr  are my most used for deer.  The 100 gr charge is really for the flatter trajectory, if I may be shooting across my beaver pond. The 80 gr is accurate and will drop any deer around.
I tried 120 gr but didn't see the point.

My .40 with 42 in barrel is very accurate with 35 to 45 gr  of FFFg , but it will take 60 gr and maintain decent accuracy along with an increase in velocity. If I were to take it for deer, that is the charge I'd use

I wondered which charges [powder]  are used by others..ie the most common ground . I think Sam Fadala used to refer to "  Optimum" charges.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:49:34 AM by bob in the woods »

galamb

Re: Max. [ roughly ] powder charges for RB by cal/bore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »
I "hunt" my rifles - do a little plinking, but even then I use my hunting load - so my charges are geared as such.

Got rid of my 54 (tapered 31") before I could really work it up fully but shot 90 grains when I had it - more rifle than I knew I would ever need after pulling the trigger on it a couple times (plus carrying that 10 1/2 pounds through the woods for a couple of weeks).

My 50 (straight 36") is used exclusively for shooting PA conicals over 80 grains - use it for hunting deer from "other than" my bow stand.

Also shot 80 grains with my first BP rifle, a 50 cal Lyman Trade rifle (28" straight) - mostly because that's what the chart that came with the instructions said was reasonable for what I was shooting at (before I even horsed around with "load work-up")

My 45 (swamped 42") shoots best (so far) with 75 grains, but at 65-70 grains it is still nice and accurate out to my "self imposed" 80 yard max limit.

My 40 (straight 36") is my "main" deer rifle. I shoot 60 grains which gives me the point blank range I'm looking for to 75 yards - but I do restrict shooting it at Bambi to distances no further than 50 yards (with 35 yards typical).

Don't believe I have ever pulled the trigger on greater than 90 grains in any rifle I have - never really felt the need.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:25:09 AM »
Bob, I have several 40 cal. both flint and perc. and they too shoot ok with around 40 gr. or so but they seem to realy shine with 55-60 gr. All but one of them is a GM barrel (1-48) and the other is a Carpenter barrel (1-56).

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
Just the concept of max charges per caliber ignores the strength of the barrel system from one gun to another. I have seen very thin barrels of large caliber made expressly for offhand shooting with light charges. Throwing 120 grains in a Chinese made 68 caliber muzzle loaders is a date with a coroner.  Even some modern commercial barrels have some questionable breaching practices, like using helicoils to take up play in sloppy breech threads. An under lug dovetail cut a little to deep etc. 

Some poor fool will unwittingly think he can turn his markwell arms hawken into a magnum bear gun and lose his hand.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Zimmm makes a good point here.  We're making a lot of assumptions about the rifle/gun, when we post our personal loading info, and which is read by a newby with a cheap/imported/poorly made firearm.  And I'm painting a lot of guys with a broad brush in that statement too, but I think you get my point.  Discussing loads with your buddies across a campfire in hunting camp is a different thing than posting here for the world to read.  But I know, I do it too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
For the record, I was not talking about "maximum" loads.  Having a Black Powder Shooting forum, without loading info, sort of leaves a big hole in the discussion possibilities. However, in the interest of preserving the vulnerable, common sense challenged multitude, I withdraw my question.   :(

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
I haven't seen anything crazy or dangerous in any of the information posted thus far.  The loads listed are similar to my own.  And I have not seen any person posting ridiculous or dangerous loading info here in the past, so let's relax.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
It seems using "Max" in the title is causing the discomfort where as in the body the terms "common" and "optimum" are used.  Don't know if the title can be changed but the intent is understood and it is good to see the similarities between my loads and that of others.

Below are all with Goex FFg

.40 flint and percussion  50 gr to 50 yards and 75gr  to 100 and hunting bigger game (tree rats get 50 - gotta shoot the front half anyway.
.50 Flint & Percussion  60 gr to 50 yds and 90 for 100 yds and hunting
.54 Flinter (I don't have a percussion) 60 gr to 50 yds, 90 to 100 yd and 120 hunting

The 50% increase in powder puts my point of aim the same as the short range load.  If you ask about turkeys at 75, I use the 100 yd load and hold a little low as holding over gets tricky.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Online bob in the woods

Re: Commonly used powder charges for RB by cal/bore [not "max" ]
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 06:03:14 AM »
I changed the subject title..really the max. charge is determined by the barrel maker.  However, as an example, my .62 rifle with the 37 in barrel doesn't seem to benefit from anything more than 120 gr, so that's the most I use if I need the flatter trajectory. For the woods around my house, shooting distances aren't that long, and 100 gr drops game just fine , so that's what I use in that situation. 

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
 I asked Dphariss almost the same question, In the Forsyth barrel question their shooting 185grns. out of a 34 inch barrel, is 34 inches long enough to burn that much powder effectively? and would 120grns. give the same FPS? Btw, I have never seen the reason behind such slow twists if you have to use 150grns + of powder to achieve decent groups, Just get you a 1/66 and shoot 100 to 120grns (or less). it can (will) shoot just as good, and will not be painful on the shoulder or in the pocket book. Btw, no muzzleloader shooting a round ball will shoot any kind of decent group at 200 yards. At least none that I have heard of.

Online BJH

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:08 PM »
I have always used one grain per caliber as a starting point. Usually ending up with a accuracy load somewhere close to one and a half grains per caliber. For example my .58 gets 80 gr ffg. Sure it may be a bit conservative by some points of view, but the 28 inch barrel is only going to burn so much powder efficiently.  My two .45 cal rifles like 80 gr. fffg for hunting loads and 50 gr. fffg for target. Just my two cents BJH
BJH

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
James. my .54 would shoot a group at 200 yes that I was happy with. It would do it IF the wind was not there. But you are right. We have to define what a decent group would be.  I shot a 10 shot group at 200 yds with my 38-55 that measured 1 and 11/16th in max c to c. But those are bullets, not round balls. My question was pertaining to round balls only, and the purpose of the heavier charge is for hunting . It's not the "magnum" effect I look for; it's the flatter trajectory.
I wouldn't shoot at a deer at 200 yds, but I would certainly take a moose at that distance.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
Unlike some, I don't generally come up with two loads for each gun/caliber; each one has a specific role to fill.  There are a couple of exceptions, sort of.  With my .32 & .36 20 grains of 3F works fine for anything I need to shoot with them.  The .45s, well they do just fine with 60 grains of 3F although one of them also really likes 70grns.  With the .40 the all around load to beat is 40 grains of 3F but a charge of 60 grains of 3F has been worked up just in case deer are on the menu.  The .50 is perfect with 70 grains, the .62 with the same charge and 60grns for the .54.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »
James - A couple, to maybe 3 years ago, Taylor and I were shooting GREAT groups at 200yards getting ready for the second year of the 200yard round ball match.  When bagged, we both shot groups running in the 2 1/2" to 3" range at 200yards - YES.  Taylor was using 130gr. 2F in his .62 and I used 140gr. 2F in my .69.  Both using VERY tight loads & no wiping.  I think my best group at 200yards was the year before though - Taylor was there for that one as well - when warming up for the match, I put 6 shots into a group 1 1/4" wide by 3 1/2" high. No, it wasn't a round group, but still looked pretty good. Seems to me, it was published here.

Our targets for our sitting and offhand match were posted as well. There was a LOT of VERBAL interest shown here, but no one else submitted targets for score, except for the originator, George, Taylor & I.  I lucked out for first, with Taylor coming in second with his .50 Virginia.  

Every one of my shots which were fired from hunting positions, would have been through the lungs of a moose, BTW.  It isn't a pretty target (I still have it), but it is a killing target and that rifle with that load has the capability of killing moose at that range- easily.   My target is also missing one ball hole (1 short), that one I placed on my sighter target by mistake - landing just outside the square 3 zone (for a single point, not counted in the match, scored as a miss.

The next year, Taylor build the .62 Hawken just for THAT match, yet the match seemed to die out - no interest.  Interest was shown here, for a 100yard match, but again NO TARGETS posted.  We (Taylor and I) thought the 200yard contest was a good one.

As to the amount of powder burned - each time the charge is increased, there is an increase in velocity. yes- 185gr. in a 20 bore will be faster than 120 or 130 or 140grs. The RATE of increase will be less and less, but, more and more powder is burned and the pressure continues to increase.
One merely has to look at Lyman's first BP handloaders Mag.

It shows in a smaller 32" bl. .58 - speeds increasing all the way to the top load they used, which was 180gr. of G-O 2F.  120gr. gave 1,402fps and 180gr. gave 1,737fps, the highest recorded. The same charge in C&H 2F powder produced 1,625fps with the round ball. It is interesting to note the pressures at speed by these two similar loads. The pressure at 1,625fps for C&H (180gr.) was 1,500LUP lower than 1,615fps produced by 160gr. of G-O powder.  Virtually the same speed, but due to the slower burning, weaker C&H, the pressures at same speeds are lower. With each powder, the speed increased with EACH additional 10gr. of powder.
The top load of 180gr. of G-O produced 9,200LUP (lead units of pressure as opposed to copper units of pressure as the copper crusher does not produce reliable results at these LOWER pressures.
The top load of 180gr. of C&H produced 6,500LUP.

The same rifle(Lyman Zouave), but 28" with .020" patched round ball and .562" ball.
120gr. 2F G-O - 1,322fps - 6,080LUP
160gr. 2F G-O - 1,552fps - 7,620LUP
190gr. 2F G-O - 1,713fps - 8,180LUP

Using the 32" full length Zouave bl. Lyman loaded G-O 2F with the 570gr. #57730 conical ball with 140gr. G-O 2F at 9,900LUP
They also loaded the same 570gr. slug with 150gr. C&H 2F for 14fps higher speed, at slighty lower pressure of 9,500LUP.

In Lyman's Data, they also loaded a .715" ball of 545gr. weight (1 1/4oz) with a .020" patch in a .75 Brown Bess Lyman sold then. The powder used was G-O.  120gr. of that powder produced, for them, 1,080fps. They did not pressre test these loads, unfortunately. THAT would have been interesting data.

Their max load was 150gr. 2f G-O powder for 1,213fps.

Taylor had that Bess, many years ago and shot a moose with it, about 100yards away, through the 'lights' (lungs). The bal ended up under the hide on the far side- I still have that expanded flat ball. His load was 100gr. GOEX of the day- early 80's.

His Bess, I did chronograph with the powder of the day - 80gr. 2F GOEX, (just under 3 drams) produced 1,080fps, the same as 120gr. of Lyman's G-Opowder of the early 70's.

My own .69, with the GOEX power of 1986, produced 1,225fps with 82gr. 3F. It took 96gr. 2F GOEX to duplicate that speed and 165gr. to make 1,550fps.  Today, judging my point of impact only, 140gr. of 2f GOEX duplicates my old 165gr. charge. Further testing is required.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:32:52 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »
I have yet to find a gun that needs more than 100 grains for any type of shooting.    Most of my deer hunting is with a 58 cal rifle loaded with 80 grains.  We seldom get shots longer than 70 yds in the woods here.  Flatter trajectory is a useless oxymoron in such circumstances.

Yes according to the Lyman tables, velocities do keep going up with more powder, but only in the larger bores (54 and above)      But what is the sense of punishing oneself with an additional 30 grains of charge for an
inch or two less drop at 100 yds.?   

With 45 and 50 cal guns, the increased charges under round balls do reach a point of futility.  An extra 20 grains for 20 extra ft per sec makes little over all difference to the trajectory at 100 yds.

Many over look the fact that round balls decelerate faster when launched at sonic speeds than when fired under sonic speeds.    There is increased air resistance to the super sonic ball in the form of air piling up in front of the ball.  While the ball may have a 300 ft per sec faster muzzle velocity, out at the 100 yds, the difference will be much less, especially for the smaller diameter round balls, like 45 and 50. 

So the overall consideration, is how much flatter is the trajectory down range,  how much additional breech pressure and recoil results and If the kill capacity down range really increased.  Is the barrel long enough to convert the extra powder into useable energy, and can the gun and the shooter accommodate the recoil and still hit the mark.

Large bores do convert powder to energy better than smaller bores in a given length.

On page 97 of the 1st edition, a 45 cal barrel 28 inches long over 60 gr of 3 fg, nets  velocity of 1932 and ME of 1100 ft lbs, but at 100 yds has only 317 ft lbs.    Increasing the powder to 75 grains nets 2025 ft/sec.  ME of 1209, but out at 100 yds, only 24 extra ft/lbs of energy

On page 112, for a 50 caliber 28 inch  barrel, a round ball launched over 100 grains nets velocity of 1782 ft/s and ME of 1267 ft lbs and 100yd energy of 425.      Doubling the powder to 200 grains, doubles the breech pressure but nets only small increases of velocity 2071 ft/s, ME of 1712, but at 100 yds the energy is only 548.      a 100% increase in powder results in 100% increase in breech pressure, but only approx 25% increase in 100 yd energy. 

According to the table on page 210 & 211, a 495 round ball launched at 2100 ft per sec slows to 1181 ft/s at 100 yds and the ball launched at 1800 ft/sec has slowed to 1033 ft /s.  The difference in trajectory between a heavy hunting charge (100gr) and the ridiculous suicidal charge (200 grains) is only 2 inches at 100 yds.   Hardly worth risking face and limbs over that mere 2 inch flatter trajectory. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
I don't believe anyone was suggesting we should use 200gr. in a .58 - as well, I did not see any such loads listed by Lyman - perhaps your book is different than mine. I merely quoted those to show the speed raises with each additional increase in powder - that answered a question above. That is the only reason I noted it.

I work up loads that give me the BEST accuracy - if that load is 75gr. 3F in my .45 (& it is & gives me just over 2,200fps), with a slippery oiled patch, THAT is the load I use. I do not care what the velocity is, I know it's high and the trajectory is quite flat to 120yards.  I use that load because it is the MOST accurate load in that rifle - and for no other reason.

The load listed above for that rifle is used when shooting trail walks - at for EVERY target as I know where it shoots  to the sights, at every range.  Could I use 40gr. for a 25 yard target - I suppose so - but I don't BOTHER using different loads for different ranges - too much to think about and having to carry a different powder measure for each range is silly, imho.

I'm glad you don't have shots over 70yards - we do.

My first custom rifle, a Bill Large barreled .58 Hawken by Taylor, would not shoot a decent group at 100yards with less than 140gr. 2F powder at that time - that was 1978. I don't remember the powder - might have been Meteor Powder, made in Scotland.  At 140gr. 2F and .022" patched .575" RB, it shot REALLY well - under 3" usually 2 1/2", sometimes better.  I only shot at 100yards then as that was the only target butt at the range I was shooting at.  With 90gr. it would barely stay inside 9 or 10" - not good enough for me, but good enough for ranges to 70yards on big game, of course.

In the larger bores, there becomes a much greater difference in trajectory with increased powder charges.  One can kill a moose with 80gr of powder and a 480gr. ball at 50 or 75yards quite handily, I'm sure, but, it won't be very accurate- accurate enough for deer, but to use that 1,150fps load and actually thread that arching ball through the tree and willow branches to kill a moose at 120yards with it's 8" or 10"" trajectory would be madness - thus I'll use my 140gr. charge delivering 1,500fps, thanks, and get point blank range shooting, where the ball is never more than 3" above the line of sight. That, I can and have put through the hole through the sea of branches to anchor that moose. Yes - did hit a few branches even then - but that ball just didn't care and even though slowed by the 1/2 dozen branches it hit, how much we'll never know, it still managed to smash a shoulder, hole the lungs and stop on the hide on the far side. 
With the accuracy loss of the lighter load (triple group size), coupled with it's slower start and more arching trajectory - I just would not trust it here.   

Lucky for me, the most accurate load for my rifle, is also a GREAT moose load.
Daryl

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
I was pointing out that increasing powder in a usual bore production gun to flatten trajectory is a fool's errand.
dangerous and not likely to achieve the desired result anyway.
Whether a person uses 120 grains or two hundred in a 28 inch 50 caliber barrel really doesn't achieve any significant advantage out at one hundred yards.    The frequent excuse for boosting powder charges is flatter trajectory or extended range.  With many guns it makes little more than a statistical marginal difference. In true hunting situations you don't know 110 yds for 90 yds and whether you have an inch less trajectory is irrelevant.
With many guns it is pure magnum it is and nothing more. 

I agree that trajectory can matter in a 62 but some newbie is going to cram 140 grains of 3 ft into a cheap begin or Chinese gun and cause another news report that muzzle loaders are dangerous.

How much difference at 100 yds is the difference?  I pointed out the ridiculousness of flattening trajectory in a 50 cal.  How much flatter is your 62 cal trajectory when compared to a 20 grain less charge?  Do you know?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »

I haven't a clue what the difference in trajectory is with a small bore, ie: 20.  I have a program that will tell me, though, as many people do.

The reason someone might use 120gr. in a 20 bore over 100gr. or 90gr. or 80gr. charge is not only the few to 5" inches flatter shooting trajectory over 125yards, but MOST importantly, the improved accuracy with the heavier load in typical slower twist rifle barrels. 

The newer Forsyth pattern slow twists, the the twist rate than James himself recommended for shooting dangerous game in dangerous game rifles, appears to be too slow for the small bores, requiring too much powder to shoot well.

Forsyth never suggested these twists for less than a 16 bore, ie: .662". Dan's own testing has shown that an 80 to 85" twist is all that is necessary to give good range and accuracy & velocity with that bore size.  To slow the twist even more and in a small bore as well, was a mistake, I feel.

The difference between a .562" ball starting at an 80gr. load of about 1,200fps (was inaccurate in my 56" twist .58Dbl.Rfl), compared to my accuracy load of 110gr. at 1,450fps, is approximately 4" higher trajectory at 125yards - add that to the VASTLY improved accuracy of the heavier load, 2-3" compared to 9"-10" and it does make a difference. A HUGE difference - especially when shooting at deer. Add the 4" extra trajectory to the inaccuracy of 9-10"group and that 13" to 14" becomes excessive. Might be lucky and hit the centre or upper quadrant of the group, or simply shoot low or left or right and cripple, gut shoot or miss.  If it can go wrong, it generally will - Murphy's law too often rears it's head.

For someone who uses load combinations that go to $#*! with increased charges and velocities, then there is no reason to use heavier charges.  You need accuracy to hit WHERE you need to hit.  Use the most accurate load and adjust the GAME hunted and the MAX RANGE to suit your restrictions.

I've seen guys print that their .50 or .54's accuracy goes all to -ell if they use more than 70gr. of powder. I've never seen that, but I've seen it in print & I've heard guys say it.  Invariably, they are shooting wimpy .010"patches that burn out with decent powder charges that shoot perfectly in tight combinations in the same barrels.   If that is their limit, then deer at quite close range are also their limit. Don't bother going after moose or elk.

When using slippery lubes, ie: hunting lubes, I've found All of my rifles except for the .69,. deliver better accuracy with much increased charges over the water-based target-type lubes.  The .69 doesn't care as it shoots the same with grease, oil or water and it's accuracy load is currently 140gr. new GOEX.  It used to be 165gr. of the older GOEX powder.  My second leaf used to be a 200yard zero with 165gr. but 165 of the new powder gives a 200 METER (220yd.) zero - running some 6" high at 200yards.  Not enough to screw up a shot on a moose or elk, but enough for sure, on a deer.  That is why the laser range finder accompanies me on EVERY hunt. To 125yards, flat sight, dead deer, moose, elk or bear.  After that, one uses his leaf sights, 150 and 200.

If indeed that new GOEX 140gr. 2F .69 load is producing 1,500 to 1,550fps, I can rest assured it is producing the same breech pressure as 1,500fps produces with 2F powder in a .54, or a .58 or a .62. & it isn't much. It is also the same pressure that was produced before when 165gr. of powder was needed for the same velocity.  Many equate recoil with pressure - indeed, as you increase the charge in any gun, the pressure and recoil go up.  But I can tell you my buddy's .75 with 100 to 110gr. of powder (1,150fps) produces a LOT more recoil than 140gr. does in my .69. His ball weight is 600gr. compared to 480gr. for mine, yes his pressure is very minimal & much less than mine is.

Lyman's book also shows us this relationship between velocities and pressure with "like" powders.  Too- in my rifle, it takes 200gr. of 2F to produce 1,700fps.  The recoil is quite heavy - about 55 to 60 fpe, but - the actual pressure is similar to the same as a 1,700fps load in a .54 - at what? 115 to 120 modern 2F to get that speed? Is that 200gr. charge a hunting load?  H--l no- kicks too much for me, but the pressure is not excessive for a good rifle, just as 1,700fps is not excessive for a good .54 or .58.  It is merely an example of velocity and pressure - as the calibre gets larger, the pressure per powder charge drops, just as the velocity does. It takes more of one to get the other.

I should note here, than stock damage can and does happen with high recoiling loads. Forsyth said to avoid unnecessarily "shaking the stock".

Incidentally, my buddy Keith started with 200gr. in that 11 bore rifle Taylor built him and with a hardened ball, ie: WW alloy, he could not keep one inside a moose. It shot right through them, most dropping at the shot - boom/thump.  Recoil was horrific though. His velocity was right around 1,500 to 1,550fps. He kept reducing the charge until he was able to recovere the WW alloy round balls form the moose he and his family shot with that rifle. It rather outclassed their TC's - HA! That happened at around 125gr. and 1,200fps. Much easier to shoot and about the same recoil as my 14 bore rifle with 140gr. load produced- so - quite manageable.

That 125gr. load has probably killed over 20 moose over the years since 1987 - works for him, with the Scope he had Taylor install.  It shot in the 3" range, at 100yards.  More powder shot better, but with the brush in our normal moose area, 125 yards was a  good, easy range.

For someone who shoots game right off the muzzle, ie: less than 100yards, trajectories mean little, unless shooting light loads with elongated projectiles - then the difference in 100yard trajectories start to matter.

A deer has about a 7" to 8" kill zone, while a bull moose has about 30" and an elk, can be fairly close to that- 28", maybe down to 24"- depending on size.

ref:(was inaccurate in my .58DR)- made individual 2" groups, but the barrels printed 6" apart. With 110gr. 2F, the gun produced individual 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and 1" combined, 3 rights and 3 lefts - thus, 110gr. was THE load for this rifle for target shooting.  For hunting with an oil or greased patch, it took 125gr. of 2F to make the barrels regulate, ie: shoot together. 110gr., the accuracy load with water based lube, shot as poorly as the 80gr. had originally with water lube, with individual barrel groups some 6" spread at 50yards - totally useless for a double rifle for hunting to 125 yard or even further ranges.  80gr. with the oiled hunting patch, made patterns all over a 8x11" target.  Horrible! For that rifle,  less than 125gr. 2F was useless.

In my opinion, 3F is for pistols and squirrel rifles, .25 to .36, & has use up to .45 calibre.   In .40 and .45, I achieved the same accuracy at lower pressures using 2F.  I do use 3F in my .40 and .45, however only if I have lots of it.  2F is the only powder I used in my first .50, 4 different .58's, my .62 smoothbore and my current .69 rifle.

Daryl

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 03:02:28 AM »
A 562 ball in a 58 probably needed a extra heavy charge to obtuse into the rifling.

I have shot a number of large bore rifles, but in 100 yds competition where trajectory was not an issue.  My 62 caliber shot groups less than 2 inches with 80 grain charges. The 69 rifle is neatly as good with 92 grains.   My 45 shoots under an inch in the calm. That is extreme edge to extreme edge not center to center.  Center to center is just a way to state smaller groups than they really are.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
I'm see that "Sydney" has not demanded to see those targets, Zimmer.
My own .69 will not do that well with light loads. A 100gr. load of 2F used to shoot into about 2 1/2 to 3". Less powder opened groups even further.  If I wanted that .69 to shoot well, I had to feed it the powder it demanded- 165 at that time - late 1980's. Now, with better powders, it does well with 140gr.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:37:47 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline sydney

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »
Hi-Daryl--No I think I gave up on asking for targets from you
              I did see on another site the claim of 1/2 " groups
                using a 45-3/14 sharps and must admit I would like to see
                 some of those targets
                    Sydney

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 05:04:22 AM »
A 562 ball in a 58 probably needed a extra heavy charge to obtuse into the rifling.

sorry but this just keeps crackin' me up.   ;)

Hold to the Wind

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 05:47:45 AM »
Yep sorry about that.  No matter how carefully I type the gremlins inside my phone program keep changing the words or spelling. Obviously the word should be obturate.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
Not sure- might be OBDURATE, TOF. I've seen that one in print in Fadala's book. Seems to me I looked it up - a long time ago and he might have been right- about that.
sydney - you've forgotten about the respect deal.  I only show targets to those I respect - you screwed that up- I no longer have ANY respect for you because of who and what you've become.  
 However, seems to me it was Taylor who shot the 1/2" groups with his Sharps at yards & it was on the range at the Jail with the 300's(smokeless powder) and at the R&G club with the 500's Hornady's with black powder. Oh yeah - he had a 2 1/2 X scope on it - that's all.
The best I did with my own Sharps was a 10 shot group of .875"0 (7/8") with jacketed and smokeless- with the Soule tang and Aperture front sight.
You are the one who brought this up, in a muzzleloading forum.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:29:47 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »
I do enough work and reading about ballistics to know definitely that the word is obturate.  NO "D"

obturate
[ob-tuh-reyt, -tyuh-]

Word Origin

verb (used with object), obturated, obturating.
to stop up; close.
Ordnance. to close (a hole or cavity) so as to prevent a flow of gas through it, especially the escape of explosive gas from a gun tube during firing.

Obturation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the field of firearms and airguns, obturation denotes necessary barrel blockage or fitment by a deformed soft projectile[1] (obturation in general is closing up an opening). A bullet or pellet, made of soft material and often with a concave base, will flare under the heat and pressure of firing, filling the bore and engaging the barrel's rifling. The mechanism by which an undersized soft-metal projectile enlarges to fill the barrel is, for hollow-base bullets, expansion from gas pressure within the base cavity and, for solid-base bullets, "upsetting"—the combined shortening and thickening that occurs when a malleable metal object is struck forcibly at one end. For shotgun shells which have multiple pellets much smaller than the barrel bore, obturation is achieved by placing a plastic wad or biodegradable card of the same diameter as the barrel between the propellant powder and the pellets.