Author Topic: Bedford style rifle with B. S. signature  (Read 4174 times)

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
Bedford style rifle with B. S. signature
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »
I purchased this rifle at auction 2 years ago and still in a quandary over who is the maker. Bedford characteristics with a strange lock plate. Engraving is well done. Puts me in mind of John Amos's work. I did tracings of the lock and wasn't able to come up with anything.
Looking for some ideas.
Thanks,
D.P.http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/dtiques/slideshow/SI%20Rifle/B%20S%20Fullstock

Offline okawbow

Re: Bedford style rifle with B. S. signature
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
Nice rifle. Certainly looks like a later Bedford co. to me. Lock looks like a "hardware" lock with a replaced hammer.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »
Could that be a "J" or an L? Bunyan Johnson who was a later builder from Somerset, I have looked through all of my books and can't find a BS. Good Luck.
Buck
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:27:41 PM by Buck »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
At first I thought the S could be a J but in looking again, I see a finer line angling from the top right of the letter toward the bottom left like is done on an S?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
Had too many things going on when I posted last. It looks like an S but possibly it could be one of the other 2. I can't find anyone with those initials.
Buck

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »
My experience is very limited, but my attention was drawn to that very unusual hammer. That hammer bears no resemblance to any I have seen from Bedford or it's surrounding  counties.  Not even a hint of an "S" curve;  looks more like an upside down "U".  The hammer is so unique that it may be easier for you more experienced guys to identify the maker of the hammer than the maker of the rifle.   As has been noted the rest of the rifle  has a Bedford profile. 

Bob D.

Offline Buck

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:36 AM »
I had a Benjamin Vore rifle that had a hammer of the same profile, I think it might be a Somerset Rifle. I.E. the hammer isn't that uncommon.
Buck

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:08:14 AM »
Nice rifle, however it doesn't have  typical Bedford furniture. It could be an Ohio made gun. Maybe an associate of Joseph Mills who left Bedford for Ohio. I have seen Ohio made Joe Mills guns with similar hammers.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
Ben sample was from ohio but I don't know where
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.