Author Topic: Interesting Rifle @ David Condon's  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Interesting Rifle @ David Condon's
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I found this while web browsing this morning and find it to have another unusual twist to it's simple two piece patchbox design.  The very curvy architecture of the stock design definitely puts this piece in the Northampton/Lehigh area.  I kind of disagree with Condon's Rupp family attribution thinking maybe perhaps something out of one of the Hess family shops??  What do you all think?    http://www.davidcondon.com/    it is #25383   under "other antique longarms"      Sorry, I could not get the copy and paste feature to bring up the exact spot. ::)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:52:08 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Interesting Rifle @ David Condon's
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
My thought is it's a bit later gun than Herman Rupp or John Rupp 1st or even 2nd.  In my opinion it's a bit presumptuous of the site to throw those names out there. I'm guessing early 1800s.

That being said it's an interesting gun with a pleasing unique patchbox although odd for a Lehigh. Nice buttstock architecture, a huge drop to the buttplate. Can't ses enough to determine if was originally flint or not.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Presumptuous indeed! 1825-1830. Not an expert, but I have my doubts it was originally flint.
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »
It says in the description a 'probable reconversion to flint', so that's what I'd assume.

Looks like a nice plain rifle in nice condition with an interesting patchbox design. I'd guess 1820s or so too, and not likely much earlier. $5K price,,, is that what a good plain rifle is going for now?

Someone here should buy it!

John
John Robbins

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
I would suggest 1820s as well - without a closeup of the lock I won't guess whether it was originally flint or percussion.   The triggerguard and buttplate are very similar to those used by John Rupp Jr, but I don't think he had anything to do with this gun. 

JTR - if the gun sells for 5k then good for the seller, but I shy away from most "retail" websites because the prices are generally inflated so much.  Even with a buyers premium I wouldn't expect it to sell for that at auction. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
John,
Buy It! You can mount it in the Ferrari ;D
Buck
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:10:15 PM by Buck »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
Ha, I already have a very similar rifle, but in about 60 caliber!
But maybe I could do a pair, mounted on the hood, or maybe the top! I'm sure that would give the swat team something to do,,, take-down pictures at 6PM!  ;D

Actually, I don't think the asking price is too far off, if you consider a little bit of wiggle room. I'd guess it'll sell for $4000 or there-abouts, because it does look like a nice rifle, is good looking with an interesting patchbox, and evidently a good reconversion. If it was a non-regionally identifiable generic plain gun, then no, not near as much. But as an obviously Lehigh made rifle in nice condition it'll bring a good price.

Just my 2 cents,    

John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:50:16 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »
  I find the rifle's full covering side plate to be a clue as to being made later than 1800 by at least a couple of decades. Hating to criticize the work of these early gunsmiths, but I rarely find the full side plate fashions to my personal liking, unless tastefully engraved and\or pierced. I believe that these type side plate "covers" seem to have stemmed from the Easton area probably around 1820-25.  If this piece had a side plate with the tailing arrow design, it would seem to have fit the mold better for it's 1800 Rupp attributions.  I whole heartily concur with young Eric's idea's as to the asking price for this rifle.  Very high retail at least in my area of the country's current economy. 10 years ago at that price tag, it would have been in the ball park.                                                               I really enjoy quiet mornings scanning the web for unusual and interesting vintage longrifles that are for sale. I have learned a lot about current marketing and fully realize that what is being asked for is rarely what an item really sells for.  Having been in retail sales for much of my life, the hardest thing I had to learn about "gun trading" was to forget everything I knew about selling. Things like having your product properly labeled with price tags. This of coarse is OK for the everyday run of the mill and production stuff, but for the rare and unique.......no price tag, just three letters......POR.   Hmmmmm!   My late great old aunt once told me "Joey, if you have to ask....you can't afford it".  ???  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:58:38 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Funny that there isn't a close up photo of the lock area .   Coincidence ?  I think not .

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
Majorjoel, ,
I'm on board with the  1820 or so date of the rifle. I can't go along with your side plate rule though. I agree there are quite a few guns from the Easton area  with that type of side plate.  The Young family used it existentially.  Henry Young died in 1793  and John in 1813 or 14 so they have been around for awhile.  JIM
JIM

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 03:37:41 AM »
Thank you Jim, I stand corrected.  It seems that there are always exceptions to every rule with these ole girls!
Joel Hall