Author Topic: Flint's Frolick 2014  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Herb

Flint's Frolick 2014
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »
Flint held his annual rifle frolic up Dry Fork Canyon at Jim Goodman's October 25.  There were eight shooters, some of the usual crowd were out deer hunting.

There were two targets of five shots each.  Jim was high with 54 points, then me with 45 and then Lisa, a new shooter, with 44.  The three of us had a shoot-off at a special target drawn by my daughter Linda.  The winner draws the next year's target, and since I won the last one, I had her draw this for me.  She had two mounted antelope heads and two more sets of horns in my gun room for models.  The bullseye was the rose in the buck's teeth.  Here are the top three.

Lisa shooting at the rose, about 30 meters away.  She came closest so won.  I was next and then Jim.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:12:22 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Herb

Re: Flint's Frolick 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:54 AM »

Me shooting my .58 halfstock flintlock I built.

The target.  This is a German tradition, Flint is from Germany.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:12:58 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »
Herb; Sir, Thanks for sharing your great shoot with us. It appears a good time was had by all AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »
You folks look like you're having TOO much fun! Thank you for the report, sounds like a great time. Nice renderings on those targets too.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
You gotta love it!  Is there any other shooting sport that brings as much enjoyment to friends and neighbors as this traditional muzzle loading sport?  I don't think so... :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
The target,an Ehrenscheibe if memory serves me right. I still prefer the German flints from Stifter's gunflints because the have dimensions that can actually be measured.Guenter Stifter got me started in making locks for the German market which was vastly better than ours and I sent most of the locks and triggers I made to them.They didn't let $3 stop whatever they were making. Guenter also said his cut flints could wreck a frizzen on a poor quality lock.

Bob Roller

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
Don't know who owns that piece of heaven where you are shooting, but someone is mighty lucky.  I shot Sunday with 3 friends and it was a glorious day for burning powder and shooting the bull.  As someone else said, there is nothing like the muzzleloading fraternity and the smell of black powder.  Congrats to all of you on a wonderful shoot!  As an old buddy of mine always said, "Nothin' like it, 'cept more of it" !!