Author Topic: Results Of New Sight Left Handed  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Results Of New Sight Left Handed
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »
Went back to the range today to test the Lyman 17A rear sight with the matching globe front sight with
a medium circle in it. I used a large size hole on the rear so I could see better. This was at 50 yards again.
Looks I will be able to be competive again in our club's bench matches shooting left handed. I never
would have believed it.  Here are the specs for those who are interested in such things.
Barrel-H&H 45 with 1-60 twist round grooves about .012 deep. Bore is .450 measured. I load a .454
ball with .022 thick Teflon patching on top of 80 grs Goex FFF.  Ignition  Flint of course. Wipe between shots.  Vent homemade. .062 dia.

The Pistol Shooter

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Results Of New Sight Left Handed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »
By golly Phil I think you've got it. That might make a $#*! of a good table gun too.
Mark
Mark

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »
Nuthin wrong with that :o

George

B Staley

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »
Good shooting.
Where did you buy the sight? I looked on Track of the Wolf and didn't see a Lyman 17 A listed......B

navygunner

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
That will definitely put meat in the freezer :)

NG

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:58:46 AM »
I think that's the model 17-A.   I bought it about 45 years ago. Can't remember from whom .

The Pistol Shooter

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:54 AM »
I think the 17-A is the number of the front Globe. The rear I think is this one.

The Pistol Shooter

B Staley

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:40:54 AM »
Thanks for that info.

mbush50

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 05:25:49 AM »
Hi Frizzen,
I hope all goes well for you. What is the height of your 17A? Did the same one work with the open sight that was on you rifle?

Michael

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Thanks for your update, and congratulations on getting something going that obviously works real well for you. That's a great result. I have the same sights, which I've tried on and off over the years on my T/C Hawkens...both cap and flint. My own experiences have not been conclusive and I'd appreciate knowing more about yours. If you don't mind, a couple of questions come to mind:
Do you pull the bbl to clean it...???
When/if you do pull the bbl does the rifle have to be re-zeroed next time you shoot it.??
I have a full set of front sight inserts, but have never tried any of them besides the simple post.
When using the "circle" type inserts in the globe front, do you use different ones depending upon the size of the bull and the range.?? Using a circle insert, what sight picture are you looking for..??
Thanks Phil...good luck going forward with your transition.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
Phil;

Lots of shooting practice will develop muscle memory, that will make left hand shooting feel more natural.
  My gun club, had several targets on their trail walk years ago, that had to be shot opposite hand. After much practice I became so comfortable shooting left handed, that on a deer hunt, shooting a modern rifle, I took a snap shot at a deer at close range, and after we field dressed it, my hunting partner(who is a lefty) asked if I knew I'd shot it left handed.I had no idea I'd made that shot left handed.

Hungry Horse

Offline oldways

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
I'm left handed and can't shoot the good off the bench! Congrats on your success, you are a inspiration to me to keep working on finding the right combination to shoot that good and not settle on "well that's good enough."

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
Don, I use a medium size rear hole I think it is .040 . The front circle I use is the one that I can see
the next ring out of the black bull on the target. I match the ring to the target and distance.  On bright
sunny days you might want to go a little smaller with your rear hole, and on cloudy darker days you
would go larger to let in more light. You should use whatever ring on the front sight so you can see say
a couple inches of white around the bull. I like the amber plastic insert with the hole. I'm 72 and need
all the light I can get.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »
Phil, I am glad the peep sight works for you. I have been using the lyman peep sights for years, since my eyes played out several years ago. If you want more choices of inserts for your front sight, get a set of Lee Shaver inserts from brownells.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
I will check that out thanks, also I'm going to look at the Merit Master adjustable rear disk that screws
into the Lyman .
The Pistol Shooter