Author Topic: 1/2 " groups with a ml rifle  (Read 22987 times)

Offline sydney

1/2 " groups with a ml rifle
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:45 AM »
hi--Lately I have doubted  that groups of this size are possible barring the
     lucky group we all get
      For the following reasons I have my doubts but then I could be wrong
         A ml barrel capable of lets say .125 c/c groups in a machine rest would be needed
          I don t think there is many of them around

A ml stock is very poor for bench rest shooting
     You would then load it with a cast ball,patch and blackpowder
          all the above not the best or modern bench rest shooters would be       using   them 
       Sights--open tradition sight are about the poorest sight for bench rest shooting
       You would have to be able to hold within a 1/2" circle at 100 yards using those sights
             Not many of us have the eye sight or skill to do that
        Then the trigger would have to be very good -then pulled
             while holding in that 1/2 circle     
        I welcome reply s showing how I worng

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 1/2 " groups with a ml rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:47:01 AM »
Sydney:  you may be right!   I have had some groups at 100 yards, using a longrifle with open sights and flint ignition, shoot three balls that cloverleaf, only to have # 4 and #5 leave the group.  That is frustrating when you see the potential for a phenomenal target, only to have it go bust.  Anymore, I am happy to keep them all in a 4" circle at 100 yards - and that's from a bench.  As you have said, the eyes are not what they used to be.  I've seen Daryl (who has always been a much better bench rest shooter than I) shoot five shots into 1 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, and less than one MOA at 200.  But that was with an English sporter style percussion rifle.

I wouldn't be surprised to see your new ESR shoot into an inch at 100 m. !!  It's a beauty.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 02:55:12 AM »
Since you didn't put limits on what constitutes a "ml rifle" (and without going beyond what the moderators allow), consider the accuracy obtained by the best chunk gun shooters or those shooting round ball bench competition.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:57:44 AM »
Have you looked at the groups shown in Ned Robert's book.  Some are bullets, but they are still front loaders.  Depending on the match, they shot 10-50 shot bench rested groups at 40 rods (200 meters) with a string measure(For you youngsters that's the total distance from the X center to each hole.) of 9-15 inches depending on the number of shots in a group.  20 shots with a string of 10 inches would be 10 divided by 20 for an average of .5 inches @200m.  These weren't the 3-5 shot groups most people sight in with at 100yds.    
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:05:55 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 03:13:47 AM »
I shot a 1/2" group once.  It was a one shot group with a .50 cal.
Wouldn't one need to be shooting a smaller caliber to achieve a 1/2" group?
Alternatively, one would have to shoot a 5 bull target and put each shot thru the X.
Guys at Friendship seem to do this with regularity.  I think Steve Chapman is one of them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 04:13:55 AM »
I think my best group measures .6 in across the edge of bullet to the extrem widest other edge of widest shot. This was with a 40 cal (.400 ball) at 53 paces. I know 100 yds. would be another story but a .2 in. group center to center isnt too shabby. I might also add that I still have the target even though it was shot 30+ years ago. I know that there were other shoters at that time and now who could do the same and better. Load development and proper bench shooting principles are paramount in shooting the small groups.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 04:27:20 AM »
You ought to go to Friendship where you would see that kind of shooting. They have matches all the way
out to 500 yds. They shoot like this all the time. Round ball 50 yds. This was shot last year.

The Pistol Shooter

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:54:15 AM »
hi--... 
        I welcome reply s showing how I worng

You ought to go to Friendship where you would see that kind of shooting. They have matches all the way
out to 500 yds. They shoot like this all the time. Round ball 50 yds. This was shot last year.

Thank you Frizzen. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline sydney

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 05:08:01 AM »
Hi--I guess I wasn t clear on the type of rifle of was referring to
      I was talking about a traditional full stock or English 1/2 stock
not your slug rifle using a false muzzle ect as in Roberts book
      As I will never get to Friendship I will take your word for it
      I do think that the it would be near impossible for your typical shooter
      to go out and shoot a group that size
         Thanks for the posts
            Sydney

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:19:36 AM »
Sydney, those sized groups are shot all the time with chunk gun style rifles. Thats traditional styled, open sights, no false muzzles. Good young eyes help alot but there are still some greybeards who still shoot that good.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Never shot a beauty like that but came pretty close a few times,  Shot several 49;s at 100 yds off cross sticks on the six bull targets.  Open sights.  Good eyes and an excellent sight picture.  Careful loading, etc.  It is more loading practice consistency than any thing.  Many guns are capable, not many operators are.

My personal opinion, is that crappy sights are responsible for most inaccuracy.   

Offline sydney

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57:37 AM »
Hi- The above targets a truly world class shooting but there was no mention of
        the rifle used or sights--chunk gun are also not the type of rifle you would go hunting with or a trail walk
       Its very hard to tell but even the above targets might not make a 1/2
          group if shot at 100 yrds
           Sydney

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
Right purty target, Frizzen. Yours?  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline EC121

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
If you look at the offhand scores at Friendship, they regularly shoot 49-50-4x six bulls at 25yds and 45-49 with an X or two at 50 yds. with percussion and flint.  The percussion record is about 196pts with many Xes out of 200 on the National Agg. with flint only a few points behind.  The six bull X ring is about .5in.   The equipment we use is more capable than most of the shooters.
Brice Stultz

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »
I have  changed to ec seen re barreled Tc guns shoot one hole groups at 50 yds
It is not a special type of gun necessary, but more the operator.

The post started out questioning whether capable with a muzzle loader.  Then changed to exclude slug guns, and then chunk guns, which aren't much different but slightly heavier barrels.  Yes a ml can do it.  If it is limited to Spanish made carbines, perhaps not.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
I can recall doing a barrel for a guy who shot crosssticks at Friendship.  It was a 40 cal.
with a 1/72 twist, and I believe he shot 80 grains of FFF.  He shot a practice target
that looked like the ones shown above, drilled the X on each bull, he then put the same
target up the next day and slightly enlarged each hole......very impressive........Don

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
start going to some of the large matches around the country, you WILL see these groups shot quite frequently.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
In my experience the "average" shooter couldn't shoot those groups with the best modern rifle and scope. Load development, consistency, eye sight, sights and trigger break. Get all of these to work in most any modern barreled rifle then some talent behind the trigger and you can get those groups on a good day. JMHO. Bob

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
27 years ago, I could and did shoot groups like that.  50 yd off hand 50 4 X  signed by the range officer.  49 4 X at 100 yds
shot from prone.  I used both .45 and .54 flintlock rifles.  At 61 years old, I can't shoot like that any more, but once in a while the stars line up and a 50 makes me smile !!! There were many matches where a 49 wouldn't place in the top 3
More than once we made the centre fire shooters take notice on trips to the range.  If the wind cooperates, these rifles can shoot impressive scores. I'm never surprised when the average shooter today , used to scopes and cartridge rifles , doesn't believe the scores /targets turned in by muzzleloaders shooting round balls.
It helps that we actually do a lot of shooting i.e. practice ,  which is not something the instant gratification boys are familiar with.  "Smart" scopes, i.e. he who spends the most $ , wins is something I see more and more of.  Nothing p**s  off a .338 Lapua guy more than showing up with a 45-100 Sharps and shooting 9's and 10's at 1000 yards.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »
I have  changed to ec seen re barreled Tc guns shoot one hole groups at 50 yds
It is not a special type of gun necessary, but more the operator.

The post started out questioning whether capable with a muzzle loader.  Then changed to exclude slug guns, and then chunk guns, which aren't much different but slightly heavier barrels.  Yes a ml can do it.  If it is limited to Spanish made carbines, perhaps not.

Then modified to be a "typical" shooter w a gun to be used hunting or on a trail walk. $#*!, a typical shooter can't do 1/2" @ 100 yds w a MODERN bench rig.

A good ML with good sights, good load for that gun, shot by a good shooter (young eyes) in good conditions .... Possible. I got a 13/16 barrel .40 full stock open sight rifle under 1" ctc +~ 25 years ago.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »
Bob in the Woods, your right. i too have been shooting ML rifles in competition for 35yrs. i too have shot several 50's at 25yds & 50yds off hand.  with the same rifle i hunted with. and i practiced every evening after work shooting at least 25 rounds per session. we know it can be done and is done at the Nationals every year.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »
I agree that many good, traditional ML rifles can shoot under moa for groups.  However, most shooters cannot; I'm among them.  Being close to 70yoa my eyes get worse by the year.  Years ago I habitually fired groups 1/4" to 1/3" from a rest with a few of my scope sighted center fires.  Less than 15 years ago I fired several 50 yard groups of around 3/4" with different longrifles/calibers and most were from field positions and not always benched.  Of course I could do that with revolvers, too, way back then.

Now the best I can do is about 4" at 100 yards and I seem to do best when sitting or standing (braced when standing); benching usually doesn't work for me.  I can still hit a broadside deer at 100 yards and a squirrel in the head at 25 yards and that's enough to satisfy me, nowadays.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »
 :o

Now the best I can do is about 4" at 100 yards and I seem to do best when sitting or standing (braced when standing); benching usually doesn't work for me.  I can still hit a broadside deer at 100 yards and a squirrel in the head at 25 yards and that's enough to satisfy me, nowadays.

Hanshi, I could learn to put up with that.  Now if I could just learn to do that!
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 04:49:56 AM »
........There were many matches where a 49 wouldn't place in the top 3........

That's right.  I shot a 49 2 X about 5 years ago at the Florida State Shoot and finished 7th.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
About 1992 I shot a 50 XXX at 50 yards and came in 4th.  I did get my 50 pin and patch tho.
The Pistol Shooter