Author Topic: Mr. Flintlocks lube in my 58  (Read 5386 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Mr. Flintlocks lube in my 58
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:27:16 AM »
I did this yesterday with 100gr Goex 2f, .020" patch lubed with Mr. Flintlocks patch lube and home cast .570" round balls at 100 yards. Had a blast! I actually got that barrel hot to where it was uncomfortable to touch after a a while. First shot for some reason went high, I will have to re-test first shot clean bore accuracy but either way, It was just good to have some easy shooting without having to clean the bore after each shot.

C. Cash

Re: Mr. Flintlocks lube in my 58
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Looks good!  What kind of range rod is that?

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
looked good, can I offer a suggestion? Get a small tin, or plastic bag and out your patches in there so you dont waste that fine lube. Better on another patch rather than on a rag:) just a thought.  ;)
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
Excellent post!  You definitely have that rifle dialed in.  I find that my first shot always goes high, out of a clean barrel, usually by a couple of inches.  It's a PITA for hunting, but you must take it into consideration.  Practicing at 100 yards is time well spent.
Your loading technique works well for you.  Firm pressure of the ball on the powder but no bashing, or throwing the rod down the bore.  I agree with OG...put your patches into a Sucrets tin and soak your patches so that they are consistently saturated.  Only do enough patches for a single outing, and you'll waste less of the lube.

What is the diameter of that black bull for 100 yards shooting, please?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »
Looks good!  What kind of range rod is that?

Its actually a prototype range rod. Knight bought the design and called it the Ultimate range rod. It was discontinued earlier this year, late last year some time. Shame to, its a great rod and has a built in charge height indicator that shows you when you've got a projectile hung up on fouling in the bore.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Excellent post!  You definitely have that rifle dialed in.  I find that my first shot always goes high, out of a clean barrel, usually by a couple of inches.  It's a PITA for hunting, but you must take it into consideration.  Practicing at 100 yards is time well spent.
Your loading technique works well for you.  Firm pressure of the ball on the powder but no bashing, or throwing the rod down the bore.  I agree with OG...put your patches into a Sucrets tin and soak your patches so that they are consistently saturated.  Only do enough patches for a single outing, and you'll waste less of the lube.

What is the diameter of that black bull for 100 yards shooting, please?

10-4 on the tin! I normally have my tin patch box for this but not this day.

That target is Birchwood  Caseys 17.25" shoot n see target. It has a 3" orange bulls eye. I wasn't sure how they'd do with the small bulls eye but after shooting them for a few months, I love them. The huge black area allows your eye to read easy and the orange comes right into focus for me. I noticed the same thing with a darker brown cardboard box and 3" orange bulls eye sticker slapped on, but the black really does the best for my eye. I've shot them out to 170 yards so far with the same Hawken and again, clear as a 75 yard target for me.

C. Cash

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
Thank you!  That's too bad as it looks like a winner.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:15:49 AM »
First shot, clean cold bore is nearly always "out of the group". That's why target shooters across most all disciplines (any propellant) have a "spotter" or unscored target for "throwing" that first shot or two when rules permit it.  In the case here, it's quite close enough to forget about for hunting large critters (at my anticipated ranges, maybe not yours).

I'd like to try some of that lube, but do already shoot targets without wiping between shots using saliva and 14-oz denim.

Good shootin', and nicely edited video!  (I think suffering through so many of the unedited ones motivates a better video-maker.  ;) )
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:18:18 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

ebiggs1

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »
Looks good. Thanx