Author Topic: Mink Oil  (Read 17100 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Mink Oil
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
   Moleyes, I use a little Lehigh Vlly. lube on a patch to clean out the bore after shooting with a grease/oil for hunting. I feel your pain as far as cleanup goes. After water and soap,try soaking a cleaning patch with Mr. Flintstone and run it through your bore a few times. Then patch it dry. This may save you some time.

Fortunately I only have to bother cleaning a grease lube out of the bore after hunting, because that's the only time I use that type of lube.  Unfortunately the way hunting has been this year I don't need to clean the bore often after shooting.  Based on the large size of the can of Mink Oil and the poor hunting so far this year, that can of Mink Oil may become part of my estate passed down from generation to generation.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Vomitus

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
  OOps, I said "Flintstone",lol, meant Mr. Flintlock. ;D

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:39 AM »
  OOps, I said "Flintstone",lol, meant Mr. Flintlock. ;D

I'm sure George will overlook it.  ;)
Don Richards

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 02:54:33 AM »
   When was Tows mink oil formula changed, now is has a different color( bees wax) maybe, it use to be white.With the price of pure mink oil i dought theres a lot of mink oil in it.They do call it Trappers Pure Mink Oil but maybe that's just a play on words . Curt

I'm wondering too.  Last summer I bought a new can.  It stunk to high heaven. I contacted T.O.W and told them that my latest can of Mink oil was rancid.  They said they never noticed a bad smell and sent me a new can.  It was the same.  Dark color and peeeyeew.  It used to smell like Mutton tallow. This new stuff smells like a Talibans underwear after a long march through the Kyber Pass after eating prunes, eggs and Fiber One bars.  I still use it though for sure but every now out of morbid curiosity I'll take a whiff and say to my self "Daaayyyyyammn SHHHEEEEE YIT Whew Lord good God almighty what are they using"!.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:56:17 AM by Leatherbark »

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:38 AM »
mine smells a little musky but nothing that bad.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »
Leatherbark,

I'd never seen the stuff before I bought the can I have now and that was about 6 or 8 months ago.  But the can I got is like the one Curt describes, a light bees wax color.  The smell is not strong, but as you said about the old stuff you had, it has a faint odor similar to mutton tallow. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

jamesthomas

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »
 After shooting at the range using Mink oil I use 2 or 3 alcohol soaked patches to cut thru the grease an fouling and then clean as normal,( water mixed with a squirt of dawn dish soap) till the patch comes out clean then a wet patch with Barricade for rust protection. I do use RIG for long term protection but I will still take out the rifle every week or so to check for rust, so far so good.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:52:33 PM by james e »

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
Leatherbark,

I'd never seen the stuff before I bought the can I have now and that was about 6 or 8 months ago.  But the can I got is like the one Curt describes, a light bees wax color.  The smell is not strong, but as you said about the old stuff you had, it has a faint odor similar to mutton tallow. 

Mole Eyes

T O W S mink oil used to look like Crisco and it was white ,and pure mink oil is a liquid like bear oil or neets foot oil.Now I see they have added the word tallow to the new stuff. and its yellow now. Not tryin to find fault with there product,just curuious.     

Curt