Author Topic: Heavy Barrel Target Rifle ; opinions wanted  (Read 9038 times)

Road King

Heavy Barrel Target Rifle ; opinions wanted
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Hi all, kind been looking at this site over the past couple of days and decided I would post some photos of heavy barrel target gun that I recently picked up. I like the strange and unusual and this one fit the bill for me. The rifle has a 33" barrel in 62 caliber, 17/8" across the flats, it is equipped with 36" Malcolm Scope, it also has the false muzzle with bullet starter. The gun is in very good condition with strong barrel rifling (not sure of the twist) The barrel is marked S. HAWKEN St. LOUIS and it weights approximately 27lbs.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:49:54 AM by Road King »

Online smokinbuck

Re: Heavy Barrel Target Rifle ; opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
Road King,
You don't often find a package complete with sights that appear to original to the rifle they are on as well as the condition that yours is in. It's a very nice package. Is the "scope" a scope or a "tube sight"? It will be interesting to see if someone can identify whether it is a Hawken barrel or a Hawken rifle. Perhaps Don Stith will chime in.
Mark
Mark

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
I am not Hawken guy, but I am guessing you have something real special there. Congratulations on the find.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »
Road King; Sir, outstanding find. The rifle appears to have a complete package of its original accessories and in great shape to boot. I'm sure if it were my find I would be at the range firing that beauty. Then I would clean the @ ;D!& out of it and put it away. Sometimes in the future to be brought out and showed to interested collectors. Thanks for sharing that beauty with the ALR. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:23:27 AM »
Workmanship and stock style looks like Hawken all the way.  Nice find. ;D

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
Road King,  You are the king today.  Thanks for sharing those photos.  That is a piece of history.
Do you know anything about it's past?  I'm no expert, but that has to be an original Hawken.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
My guess is the rifle and sights were made in the same place.

Road King

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:20 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments. To answer one of the questions, yes the scope has some magnification. I don't know to much about it's past but have know about the rifle for 3 or 4 years. The collector I got it from has had it for a number of years. He knew that I had an interest in it and offered it to me. It is a great conversation piece in my gun room.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 02:30:10 AM »
Wow, what a neat, old gun.   Anybody that is a serious target shooter should appreciate a gun like this...,Don

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
Like that target rifle!

punch some holes with it.
Hold to the Wind

4th La.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:08 AM »
Fellows, I believe Don is right on with the rifle and sight being made in the same place !

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »
Wow!  A 27 pound target rifle with false-muzzle and all accessories, is a rarity in itself, but one made by Samuel Hawken is about as good as it gets. Wonderful find!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
That Malcolm scope didn't originate with the Hawken rifle shop.The one I had on a similar rifle over 50 years ago was made in Auburn,NY.The false muzzle appears to be for a cross strip patch of some kind.The bar in wood lock looks like a nice one as does the rest of the rifle.This rifle in this condition is a real prize and well worth researching for whatever time is needed.The uncommonly big bore,the weight and craftsmanship indicate a purpose dedicated rifle.Look inside the lock for a name.Probably won't be one but it's worth a look.
Lastly,congratulations on such a find.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Maybe I was too subtle in my previous response.  I am sure that is a New York target rifle. Great piece but not a St Louis rifle. I have seen a number of New York rifles that have had Hawken stamps added to the barrel.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
Amending my post on the heavy scope sighted rifle. Mine wasn't that heavy but the profile was about the same and it was 58 caliber,walnut half stock and silver plated butt plate and trigger guard.That long Malcolm scope was a good one and I shot that rifle out to about 400 yards which was the extent of Bill Large's range.Mine had no name that I remember.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
What's missing are the items for making the bullets or balls. I'm guessing a slug gun. Have you checked the rifling twist rate?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Road King

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:41 AM »
Missing the bullet mold  :'(  . I am sure that it would have been a slug gun, I have heard them called a Chunk Gun ???. The bullet starter is also rifled at the false muzzle and it lines up with the rifling in the barrel. Haven't checked the twist yet, got to see if I got something I can check it with.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
Hi ya Road King,

Welcome to ALR and thanks for posting a wonderful old gun.  I'm curious, to the left of the barrel tang there is a diamond shaped inlay with a screw in the middle.  What is it's function?  Thanks.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Road King

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 05:43:44 AM »
Hi ya Road King,

Welcome to ALR and thanks for posting a wonderful old gun.  I'm curious, to the left of the barrel tang there is a diamond shaped inlay with a screw in the middle.  What is it's function?  Thanks.

-Ron
Hi Ron, there is a hairline crack in the stock and the inlay and screw is what was done to stabilize the fracture. Very professionally done.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  From the size and position of the screw, I thought maybe it was for adjusting the trigger(s).  Very cool piece.  Thanks again for showing it to us.

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie