Author Topic: Early rifles made in philadelphia  (Read 2471 times)

Offline DaveM

Early rifles made in philadelphia
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:58:48 AM »
Anyone know of definite examples of rifles with patchboxes made in philadelphia say from rev war to war of 1812?  Are these of a distict style?

Offline RAT

Re: Early rifles made in philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
Derringer made trade rifles for the government. My guess is that most Philadelphia-made guns date post-1810. I'm not an expert but the most common thing I see in photos is checkering on the wrist.
Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »
There are a couple  Peter or Jacob Kuntz rifles with Philadelphia on the patchbox and I've seen
one with the Liberty bell.  That one is one of the fanciest longrifles I've ever seen.  It was on
display at the Reading Public Museum this summer and there is a book that was published
with the display.  It may be in the book.  Come to think of it, I put my name on their waiting
list for release of the book and never got a call.  Does anyone know if that book was released
yet?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
It is projected to be released sometime in December I believe