Author Topic: J. Painter rifle  (Read 5563 times)

Offline louieparker

J. Painter rifle
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
 Does anyone know of a J. (Jake) Painter rifle or pistol that might be for sale.. Painter worked in Greene County Missouri around Springfield and made very plain rifles and pistols..Some of the pistols were under hammer.. If you know of one send me a PM.....Louie

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: J. Painter rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Is he realted to the J(ohn) Painter of VA?
Hurricane

Offline louieparker

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:56:52 AM »
Fred I really don't know...  The rifles that I have seen by him show no Va. influence that I remember....

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:18:48 AM »
 Neither did Painters Virginia pieces. He kind of did  his own thing. Maybe he followed Sites path

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
Louie & Don,
Just throwing my two cents in here.  The 1880 federal census records for Springfield, Greene County, Missouri lists a Jacob Painter, age 72, occupation "Gunsmith", born in Virginia.  He's residing with his son Phelan Painter, age 32, also a "Gunsmith", born in Missouri.  From this we can infer that Jacob came to Missouri sometime before 1848.   
Mark

Offline Loudy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
See following link for additional biographical information regarding gunsmith Jake Painter from Greene County, MO...

http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v9/n1/f85g.htm

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »
 Thanks Loudy for that info. I don't know if there is a direct tie to the Virginia Painter or not. Just interested me because I was born and raised in Missouri and now live in Botetourt County, Va near the old Sites and Painter home sites.  Too much coincidence that the Sites and Painters would work within a few miles of each other in south west Virginia and then wind up  in south west Missouri

Offline louieparker

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
Loudy, thanks. I was thinking this morning about a Painter rifle that I saw back in the seventies. It was a very plain rifle, walnut full stock. It had a barrel that was about 3/4 inch across the flats.. I have seen others that I really can't remember, but that small barrel stuck in my mind....LP

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Here is what I have on Jacob Painter.  The birthplace conflicts with the census information.  Jacob Painter was born in Burke County, North Carolina, in 1810.  He was the son of Samuel and Betsy Painter. The family moved to Lincoln County, Tennessee, in 1813, and to Montgomery County, Illinois in 1826. They remained in Illinois until 1831, when they moved to Springfield, Missouri. He married Miss Betsy Compton in 1830, while living in Illinois. She died in Missouri in 1836, and in 1839 he married Fannie Freeman. Considering that he was living in Illinois from the age of 16 through the age of 21, it seems likely that he apprenticed to someone here.  I know of no gunsmiths working in Montgomery County, Illinois at that time, but there were several in nearby Madison and St. Clair Counties.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
I just found that I have a bit more on Jacob Painter, this the courtesy of Jim Whisker.  Jacob's father, Samuel Painter, was a gunsmith, silversmith, blacksmith, watchmaker, harness maker, and millwright.  He taught all of these trades to his  sons, John (b. 1796),Elisha (b. 1806), Jacob (b. 1810) and Nathan (b. 1812). Samuel Painter was born in 1774.  He married Elizabeth "Betsy" Briance in Burke County, North Carolina in about 1795. Samuel Painter died in Missouri in 1836.

Offline albert

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
I was at the "Wilson's Creek"Battlefied a few years ago , and if I remember correctly,there is a Painter rifle on display at the Sweeny Museum, which is owned by the park service now.
j albert miles