Author Topic: Saw the Long Rifles at the Alamo  (Read 2319 times)

C. Cash

Saw the Long Rifles at the Alamo
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
I was blown away looking at them.  The Jacob Dickert was such a beautiful rifle.  You could tell it had been used a good bit as the edges of the barrel flats had been worn down, but it looks like the owners had taken great care of it.  They have one of Crockett's rifle there(not the one used at the Alamo's defense of course but it was amazing to see it.  The Southern Appalachian rifle they had there had a HUGE swamped barrel and bore, I am guessing a 58-62, which surprised me.  No cameras were allowed in, unfortunately.  Anyone know of any pics/info on the net?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:28:22 AM by C. Cash »

nosrettap1958

Re: Saw the Long Rifles at the Alamo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
In your estimation what were the majority of these rifles? Adorned 'Golden Age' or unadorned 'Poor boys" rifles or some of each and in between?

C. Cash

Re: Saw the Long Rifles at the Alamo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »
To my untrained eye, it looked like everything was Golden Age or later?(no flat butt plates on the long rifles...curved buttstocks and ornate furniture/inlays on the PA longrifles).   The Southern rifle barrel is truly huge.  Wish I knew more on the rifles there in the collection.  The Crockett rifle is the one with the spur coming off of the trigger guard....iron mounted it looked like.  It was featured in a recent muzzle blasts article on Crockett rifles.      I would sure like to know more about the Dickert.