Author Topic: Restoration of finishes on original rifle repairs/restorations  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Dave B

Restoration of finishes on original rifle repairs/restorations
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »
I was listening to a radio interview with a museum conservator who was responsible for painting restorations. They were discussing the techniques used for this process. The key to their philosophy is to not alter the original. To that end they use a varnish over the original finish and paint over this varnish layer. When the painting is cleaned the next time around the touch up work comes off with the varnish leaving the original surface intact. I am curious if this is used in the museums in regards to the firearms when it comes to their repair or replacement of missing wood on examples in their possession? I have seen some amazing restoration work but it was not done using the varnish as a top coat over the original finish. What has been your guys experience with this sort of thing?
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Feltwad

Re: Restoration of finishes on original rifle repairs/restorations
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Has a restorer of antique weapons I have never come across this type of restoration .The trouble with a large majority of antiques  restoration is taken to far a gun which is almost 200 years old should look 200 years old not something almost new straight off the shelf. one of the main mistakes is the checkering  nothing looks and feels worse than crisp checkering on an old gun.
Feltwad

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Restoration of finishes on original rifle repairs/restorations
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
Has a restorer of antique weapons I have never come across this type of restoration .The trouble with a large majority of antiques  restoration is taken to far a gun which is almost 200 years old should look 200 years old not something almost new straight off the shelf. one of the main mistakes is the checkering  nothing looks and feels worse than crisp checkering on an old gun.
Feltwad

I had a fine Whitworth Semi Military match rifle that had fine,crisp checkering and after 11 years of me using it the checkering was still crisp.It was made in 1860.
One of my interests for many years are major classic cars of the 1930's and I see these at shows from time to time that look like they have been porcelainized instead of painted.
Over restored ANYTHING is bad IMHO.PRESERVATION is the way to go.

Bob Roller