Author Topic: triggerguard  (Read 3734 times)

leviathan

triggerguard
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:02:58 AM »
Can anyone tell me if triggerguards were ever nailed on or only screwed on? If so, I would really like info and perhaps where I can find pics.  Thanks Gentlemen! ;D

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: triggerguard
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »
They were neither. They were attached by a little metal pin, that went  through the stock & a hole in a little tab that is part of the trigger guard that went up inside the stock. At least that is how most if not all of the originals I own or owned are fastened.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:39:08 AM by Avlrc »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:11:20 AM »
I own  one original that was pinned on the front and screwed on the back . It's a Bucks county gun.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:42:38 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:27 AM »
Early Reading Rifles often had the rear extension screwed into place. I have some photos somewhere, if I can find them I will post them.
Buck
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:41:36 AM by Buck »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:47:55 AM »
Leviathan,
Look in the Library in the Pennsylvania - Berks County section. Berks County, City of Reading, attribution. Scroll down and you will find the picture of it. The general consensus is this rifle is an early product of Henry Mauger, that conclusion was reached sometime after the rifle was added to the library.
Buck

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:12 AM »
Southern rifle guards are sometimes pinned, sometimes pinned on one extension and screwed on the other, and sometimes both trigger guard extensions were screwed in place. I do not recall seeing a guard held by nails, but I have seen buttplates nailed in place.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:53:23 AM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:08:22 AM »
Rifle #45, in William W. Ivey's book, "North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765 - 1865" features an "iron trigger guard held on with two wrought nails rather than pins or screws." This rifle is from the Early Deep River School and was likely made in Randolph County.

Rifle #194, in the same book also "has an iron trigger guard held on with hand-made wrought iron nails." This rifle is from the Catawba Valley School and was found in Catawba County. This rifle has no butt plate, but does have an iron nail at the juncture of butt and comb.

These are the two examples that I know of that have trigger guards held on with nails.  They are not common, but do exist.

Michael    
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:09:02 AM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:23:25 AM »
Rifle #194, in the same book also "has an iron trigger guard held on with hand-made wrought iron nails." This rifle is from the Catawba Valley School and was found in Catawba County. This rifle has no butt plate, but does have an iron nail at the juncture of butt and comb.
Ah-ha that's the rifle with the "wear" nail in the butt. I knew I had seen photos of one but could not remember where. Always thought that was pretty neat. Nice looking rifle, a "poor boy" dressed up for Sat. nite :D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson