Author Topic: Antique Kentucky with Birch signed lock  (Read 4178 times)

YANKEEDROIE

Antique Kentucky with Birch signed lock
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
Hi Folks I had posted earlier a long rifle with a Birch lock but had no pictures for you. Iv returned to the collection and have a few pictures. The gun is part of a collection for sale and I would like to make an offer. Any help on its origin , value would be appreciated.  The lock is fully functional, barrel top has no name , looks to have a pretty new skin.

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Antique Kentucky with Birch signed lock
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
The lock won't tell you much about the rifle... it is old, its English and Birch could either be the Black Country (the towns around Birmingham where all the locks were made) lock maker or the American Hardware dealer who imported it. The lock probably dates around 1800-1820.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »
Do you recall if the tang of the barrel had a particular shape to the end and was the entry pipe into the forestock wide at the part that sits on top of the fore stock? I only ask because the shape of the stock and cheek side  reminds me of the Allenmengenal school of rifle making in the Lehigh Valley. The one I have looks similar with regard to the cheek piece.

Dave Blaisdell

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:44:59 AM »
I'm with Dave on that whether the ramrod inlet is wide or not.  The stock architectures are the same on those two rifles.  The condition is so nice except the skin.  A good aging of the stock would make it look outstanding.  Don't pass it up if the price is reasonable.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 03:18:11 AM »
The original poster hasn't been on here since Nov 19th,,,,,,

John
John Robbins

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »
  Just when I thought I was getting something new to read  John comes along . ....
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:26:57 AM »
Well I can delete my post and you can hope for the best!  ;D

It would be nice to know if the guy actually bought the rifle!

John
John Robbins

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
Well his email suggests he is the owner of a website selling antique plumb bobs in Connecticut.  Just got a plumb bob education.  I emailed him.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.