Author Topic: KIK versus Goex  (Read 3971 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
KIK versus Goex
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »
Can some one tell me if a 60 grain load of KIK would be equal to same using Goex 2F.
 I have never used KIK powder.
iloco

Offline Daryl

Re: KIK versus Goex
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »
Might vary depending on the bore size and other load parameters. You should try it and get back to us - impact the same, dirtier vs. cleaner shooting, group sizes, etc.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline iloco

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:49:09 AM »
Might vary depending on the bore size and other load parameters. You should try it and get back to us - impact the same, dirtier vs. cleaner shooting, group sizes, etc.

I don't have any KIK so can not get back with you on how it performs.  With me sitting on 30 pounds of Goex I don't need to be buying any more powder.

I was hoping someone else that has used both could tell me if they perform the same.
iloco

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:39:21 AM »
I shoot a lot of black powder cartridge silhouette each year, in excess of 1,000 rounds.  I've used a good deal of KIK as it was much cheaper than Swiss.  I found that if I used the same weight charge of Swiss, KIK, Goex or the new Old Eynsford that the point of impact is the same.  The secret is the weight of powder, not volume.  It varies in density so equal volumes do not equal same weight by scales.  If you weigh the Goex you are now shooting and then make a volume measurer that gives that weight of powder on scales then it should shoot the same.

Offline iloco

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:44:25 AM »
Good deal.  Thanks Ghillie that is what I was looking for.
iloco

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
 Just found this post, I use to shoot 70 grns. of 3fff KIK in my .50 cal. It would start to leave a hard crust ring after about 3 shots that you had to use a brush to break up or you couldn't get the next load down all the way, Quit using it and went to 3fff Goex, no more crust ring.